Thursday, December 28, 2006

I'm scared

I have to share this fear even though there is so much guilt associated with it. I finally went for my well woman check. I got a call from the doctor’s office. My mammogram was suspicious, and without other films to use for comparison, today I have to go for more detailed tests.

Putting this check up is so very easy. I know most women would rather do anything rather than hop up on that table and put her feet into those stirrups. I have had an additional problem of connecting with a physician that I really could connect with.

I have finally gone with the one all the other females in my family uses. I met him when Monkey Boy was born, and I really liked him then. I have been through the examination, and I do like him.

This mammogram thing is something that has really grabbed my attention. I realize now how foolish I was to wait so long. I flat lied when I told them I haven’t been seen for this check up in five years. It is more like ten.

I understand that many women have these additional tests. One is a more extensive mammogram and the other is ultrasound. There was no real tumor, just a mass and some calcification. It is very probable that there is nothing to be too alarmed about, but there is the other possibility.

If there is a problem, I hope I was able to catch it early. I certainly didn’t help myself though. I was so very foolish.

No comments: