Thursday, August 30, 2018

The shock is wearing off

In July, I had my yearly oncologist appointment.  He always calls for blood work - to check the level of the cancer enzyme (?) and the complete metabolic panel.  My kidney function is off.  He sent me for an echo of the kidneys.  He thought there could be some shrinkage.  Never heard the results.

I then had my semi-annual cardiologist appointment. I took him the lab results.  He said it didn't look too bad, and referred me to a nephrologist.

I saw the nephrologist yesterday.  Cutting to the chase she is referring me to a urologist because (and here is the kicker of it all) there is a MASS in my right abdomen that may be pressing on the ureter causing urine to back up into the kidney causing the results I am getting.

I was in shock yesterday.  I was really rather numb.  Today I called the urologist.  He is taking over another practice and can't see me until the end of September.  The nephrologist wants me seen quickly.  I called her office for another referral.  Crickets can be heard at this point.

I called the oncologist.  He is only in the office on Tuesdays.  I called the appointment line to explain what I should do since I never heard a word from him.  THEY got through to a Tiffany - whoever that is.  She FINALLY called back.  He wants me to have a cat scan.  The orders will be faxed over on Tuesday, and I will be called.

It is hitting me.  I may be facing cancer again.  My mind is running rampant.  Could it be (hopefully) a cyst?  Could it just be a mass - fat (that would be something).  Or could it be ovarian cancer?  Am I facing chemo and radiation again - and how advanced is it?  Is that the reason my back has been hurting more than usual?

What I feared was kidney disease and thought I might be facing dialysis has now turned into something that may be far worse.  The numbers DO say it is stage 3 kidney disease, but that might be something that is reversible - once this mass isn't pressing on the ureter.  But it may be so much worse.


I am in a state of panic.  If you can - say a little prayer.

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

I'm sorry to hear that Karen. I will keep you in my thoughts that it's nothing serious.

Marti said...

I am so sorry to hear that. Yes, I will definitely be praying, starting right now. I wish doctors would deliver bad news at the beginning of the week, not the end when you can't do anything over the weekend but worry about it.

Your doctor search sounds just like mine with the endocrinologist. My doctor's office wanted me to see one within two weeks and the earliest appointment I could get was the end of October. However, I pulled up my provider list and started calling down the list as I googled their reviews. I found an office with a fairly new doctor on staff and got in with her within the two weeks. You might try that route. My doctor's office was no help getting me in anywhere either.

Judy said...

Of course I will pray for you Karen.
These kinds of things are so frightening and it takes so long to get any results back. The not knowing and waiting is the hardest part, I think.