Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Clinic Day

I had PT today, and I was expecting a fairly relaxing time until I realized it was clinic day when I pulled into the parking lot. Well, there will be some interesting people watching.

Now I know I am drugged about to the max. I have caught myself slurring when I talk at times. Today was a BUSY clinic day. It was filled with people who slurred when talking.

On clinic days, there is quite a cross-section of humanity there. There was one lady, with a walker which is not unusual there, who was very talkative. I don't know her age. I thought she was in her late 80's. I was wondering where her "keepers" were because I really didn't believe she could live alone. She had a walker all decked out like the ones I saw when my dad was in the assisted living place.

They have added a TV (damn it all) to the waiting room. Some were trying to watch the program, but the older woman was continuing to talk. I didn't really pay much attention, but it was difficult to avoid. She was talking about having been married for 63 years when her husband died. So that galvanized my feeling about her age.

When she was called back, my attention went to a snippet of conversation. She was talking about having talked to her attorney. Attorneys are big there. A lot of the patients are also in law suits!

The guy next to me had argued with them about the payment. I don't know if he had insurance or not, but he was saying that was the fee they agreed on, and he paid $100, would pay $100 today and on and on. Then he sat next to me (it was crowded!) talking about being disabled since he had the insurance. He, like me at times, was slurring

Now the kicker to the story. I was riding the bike that goes nowhere, I looked up. The little old lady was out of the office. She was driving herself away. I don't know how I will be in about 20 years, if I live that long, but this little gal didn't appear to have the faculties to still be driving. Let's just say I was glad to be off the road.

Peace be with you.

4 comments:

Marti said...

LOL, I love to watch people at the doctor's office. Haven't been anywhere (yet) where we were all drugged to the max. That would be interesting in a 70's kind of way.

Judy said...

Too funny.

Susan Adcox said...

We recently had to take my dad's keys away, and he was 92! He was still a good driver, but we were worried about his reaction time. Also, he had had a bad episode of congestive heart failure, and his overall health was not good. He also still lives alone.

angela said...

OMG--I know what you mean. Some little lady was next to me and telling one story that led into another...it took her a while to realize I was joking when I said I was spinning as part of therapy. Then I stopped and looked at her thinking she needed some eye contact and to be listened to genuinely. She never looked at me. :-)