Friday, March 03, 2006

But it was so tempting!

I’m glad I just sat on the check I got from the mortuary in San Antonio. I knew it was only about half of what I asked to be returned. I also decided not to fight it, but simply had not gone to the bank with it. Yesterday I got another check. It was for the amount I had asked for along with a short letter from the general manager with whom I had spoken.
It would be so very easy to simply take both checks to the bank. I could rationalize I deserve all the money. They put me through such hell. I will always remember the funeral with shame, but that makes no difference. They are due the money I didn’t ask for. They did perform those services.
I am not trying to sound like someone who is so perfect and holier than thou. I really believe this entire country has gotten into the all for me syndrome. If someone makes a mistake - especially with money - in our favor we act like that is just too bad for them. There are those who if a clerk gives them too much change simply pocket it. I know the clerk should be much more careful, but mistakes do happen. At the end of their shift, this clerk will have to make up the deficit out of their own pocket.
I have tried to teach my children and now my grandchildren that you need to treat people as you want to be treated. Capitalizing on a mistake is not the way to live. I guess that’s the premise in the hit show "My Name is Earl." I won’t call it karma, but there is a certain good feeling knowing you didn’t hurt someone else by taking what is really not yours. And yes, it was so tempting!

No comments: