Thursday, April 26, 2012

What I did in Mason

Sounds like the beginning of elementary school assignment that kept us all busy, doesn't it??  Anyway - it was a busy time!

Of course on Thursday, we went to Fredericksburg for food.  We also took a chair I salvaged from the ravaged lake house before we got rid of the house to be redone.  We went to the hardware store for a socket, the grocery for the rations for the week, and then ate at a divine little Italian restaurant.  It was almost closing time for them, but they were so gracious.  The food and the prices were great, but since Fredericksburg is a tourist haven - we walked about two blocks - up hill to get there.  I thought going back would be better - hah!  Of course - I wore the wrong shoes.

On Saturday we had one of the many family reunions (and we don't make all of the different branches!).  It was nice to see folks we haven't seen for a while.  My SIL and I were going to meet a friend (and neighbor) for the Home Tour.  We set 1 pm because the reunion usually breaks up right after lunch.  Not this year!  So we were running late, which is nothing for SIL.  In fact - it's how she rolls.

Anyway we met up with J and she had R with  her.  Now R is a different bird. I don't know how to take her, but that's another story.  The homes were really something, and they ranged from those that were at least 150 years old to being completely off all utility grids. Quite a range.

My problem came with R.  And I will be honest - I don't really like her at all.  Again another story completely.  She began talking about our other friend, neighbor, and, not surprising in that country, relative.  He has been diagnosed with brain cancer - terminal but is adding some time by doing chemo and radiation.  Now in the meantime, he has suffered a ruptured colon.  What a wonderful life, right?

Anyway, R has pushed herself into knowing everything there is to know at the Methodist Church there.  She was telling us that he is so weak, he doesn't want any visitors, including his children.  She was talking about how everyone wants to help, but they don't want any.

I sat as long as I could, and finally couldn't keep my tongue  in my head.  I told her I can completely understand why some people withdraw.  To which she replied that she knew.  She did that to the detriment of her health and those around her.  She just withdrew deeper and deeper.  That was it!  I told her I completely understand this person because I TOO HAD CANCER!  She shut up - a  little.

Anyway, last night we went to the "social event."  Our community is named Hilda - otherwise known here as the Wide Spot in The Road.  We go to community club there once a month, but don't go to the church - Methodist.  We are Lutheran, so we go down the road a piece.  Anyway the social event was Hilda Happy Hour.  We have been before, but it is the last Wednesday of the month, and if we go for Community Club, that is the third Friday.

Guess who was co-host.  This man and his wife.  And you know what, although it did look like someone who has been terribly ill, which he certainly has, he was not weak.  He was outgoing.  His children have been around helping in the fields and with the cattle.  This weekend, they plan to have everyone there to celebrate birthdays, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  What a complete liar R is.  But then it goes along with what I fear of her.  I don't think down deep they are nice people - and again, I will touch on that later.

It made me feel so good to see H and his wife.  She and I went through bad times together, and she looks good too.  He certainly is not currently at death's door as R made it sound.  And she wants the four of us to get together again?  I don't think so.

Peace.

2 comments:

Marti said...

I love Fredericksburg. Never thought of having a family reunion there but it would be a good location.

So sad about your friend H, but good that he is trying to buy as much time as he can.

I don't understand people like R either, and why they feel the need to pass on bad news about other people. Or even that they make it seem they are closer to the people they are talking about than anyone else.

JuJu said...

There are just some folks in the world that LOVE a crisis and LOVE to suffer. This R sounds like one of those. She likes the attention she gets from all she must "endure?"

You are my hero. I must learn to speak up in situations that make me feel upset and agitated. Well done!!