Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Computer whiz!

Sure!  Not!


So to give you my tale of woe, and how I spent most of yesterday, let's just say that I become more and more sure of the fact that I should leave computers alone!


I did manage to set up the Home Group aspect of the two computers.  That's something I never quite could accomplish on the Gateway.  My disappointment however was that I was hoping I could access the internet using that set-up.  Nice try!  


That brings up another problem.  Years ago Comcast came out to fix my internet.  The tech got into the programming part of the internet on the desktop and this laptop.  When he did the desktop, I asked if I could also use the laptop connected to the modem.  He did something to both computers, and only the laptop would connect to the internet.  I didn't know this until he left.  Being the way Comcast is, I didn't call them back about the problem.  I didn't like it because that meant no modem and I was tethered with a laptop.  Not the way you want to be.


Well, now I figured out that there is something that will preclude ALL computers from accessing the internet using that modem, and I really believe that is the problem with trying to set up a modem even through this computer that works on the modem from Comcast.


To get around the password problem, while I had it opened, I set up another account.  Somehow I was able to get the same wrong password in so I could act as administrator.  That enabled the new used account.  I figured I could just put all my files there.


Well - back to my story.  I was worried about not having a CD RW on that little computer.  But I DO have a CD reader upstairs that goes with the big machine.  It works just fine with the computer up there.  If I want to write to something, I bought I huge external drive for back-ups.  So problem solved there.  The little computer has three USB ports. And I found the cable that moved the files from the old computer to the new one. Problem solved on that front.


I am able to get all my embroidery stuff on the little one either through thumb drives, the read CD, or the internet.  It has good internet capabilities.  Even though my phone will not work at the SSB, it certainly will act as a pretty good hotspot here in town.  Slow - but better than nothing.  


Also, I was able to solve the password problem.  Solving that problem caused another problem, but that was solved too.  I Googled password retrieval.   There are a lot of programs out there.  And that's where I felt "snake bit" again.


I tried to buy one of the programs.  It was touted as being $10 with an absolute guarantee that there was money back, and they would "never charge anything more" to the credit card.  


I bit.  I tried to buy their program.  It wouldn't take my credit card.  I have shopped on line for years.  I have never had a problem - at all.  Well, I tried a couple of times to get the company to take my card, but I kept getting an error message.  Then I looked further and there was a free site for these programs.  There was freeware out there!! I downloaded that baby immediately.  Put it on a thumb drive, and was ready the next time I booted.  It worked like a charm.  There is  no password on that computer now!  I was successful.


Later on Saturday afternoon, I was working on those bags when the phone rang.  To cut to the chase, unusual activity was noted on my card.  They asked if I had purchased any computer programs for $30.  I didn't own up to the fact I had tried, but I did say no.  I was scammed by that company.  Fortunately, the charge was removed and the card suspended.  Thank heavens!  Some things never end.  I hope that one has.  So much for their empty promises!


To sum it all up - I have a computer that fits better where I need it.  It has everything I need - including a 125 gig hard drive.  I know they make them even larger now, but for the money, I have a machine that will meet my needs for a long while.


Now I need to turn my attention to Comcast and this modem.  Then I don't have to take my cell upstairs to have internet access on that computer, and this laptop can once again be used away from the tethered line!


Peace.

1 comment:

JuJu said...

Wow! You need to pat yourself on the back for getting all this accomplished. Well done GK!