Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I'm stimulating!

Yep, we are doing our part to stimulate this economy!!

When all the talk about TV going digital, G thought we would have to replace our sets. Now I was really stupid when I revealed my superior intelligence on the subject and told him that since we had cable here and satellite at the SSB, we were fine. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! I have wanted a flat screen for a long time. If I had kept my mouth shut - I would have that set.

The problem with that is our present set is absolutely fine. It has a great picture, and shows no signs of dieing any time soon. I just can't throw out a perfectly good set for really no good reason. My son has the same set, and his is rocking along just fine as well. We bought them about the same time - probably a good 12 years ago.

Finding a good home for a 12 year old, 27 inch analog TV is not easy. The poor baby is obsolete, and it just doesn't know it. It sits there proudly running programs all day without complaining at all. How can I just pitch it. I doubt that even the resale shops would want it.

Well, I now have that problem. Sunday I looked at the ad from the remaining electronics biggie. I usually don't because G hates them with a passion. He tried to get something covered under warranty several years ago, and it didn't go well. When things like that happen to him, he does not go back to said store (or chain).

This store had a 42 inch flat screen, surround sound, and their people to come set it up for $1200. I was talking about it to the kids before dinner. Yesterday, after our respective doctor appointments, he suggested we both go to that store to see about that TV. I really was quite amazed.

So off we went. We got there. Marched right up to the set. And no one was there to help us. There was one salesman, but he didn't even acknowledge our presence. I know he had a customer, but he could have said he knew we were there.

So I decided to wander up to the front of the store with my bewildered face. It worked. We got a very knowledgeable young man with a great personality. I finally walked out of there about $2000 lighter with the date to put the stand together and set up our TV next Thursday. I guess he was really a good salesman, but technology has run by and left me in the dust. Probably I could have gotten by with a cheaper surge protector, but I also remember the PC being all but destroyed by a close lightening strike. This one has the cable going into it before the set.

Happy Valentines Day (I guess) to us! And viva the economy!

Peace.

No comments: