Friday, January 16, 2009

Excitement

I was minding my business last night when the phone rang about 6:15. It was from B's house which I found strange because they don't usually call at that time on a Thursday night. They are usually not home on Thursdays.

B, in his usual way, kind of backed into the issue. He began with something that didn't seem too important along the lines of "I just wanted to give you a heads up." For all I knew, he had gotten some information from the group who is guiding him into real estate investment. His voice was all cool and reserved.

Then he said that C had been having regular contractions for a couple of hours. He went on the say they were going to finish fixing dinner, and then see what was going to happen. He never mentioned going to the hospital. I asked (how dumb!) if she had talked to her doctor. She talked to the office who told her to go to the hospital if she thought she was in labor. She had not talked to her doctor.

I told him to keep me posted, to which he replied in his usual smart as*ed way that they had intended to just forge ahead without telling me anything. Oh my son! Give him a slight opening and he will zing you. Here's your sign!

About 9:30 the phone rang again. They were in the hospital. She was dehydrated which caused the contractions. They were also trying to rule out a urinary infection (I didn't know about that one). So she was on an IV with fluids being pushed.

I called her just a while ago. She had a little over one unit of fluid (probably over a liter but I'm not conversant with things like that), and she did not have a urinary infection. She said the contractions didn't stop with the fluid, so they gave her an injection to stop them. But she is doing fine now.

I'm glad. Little creature needs to cook a little longer. It is only 34 weeks. She is ready to have this baby. Poor thing, she tells us that and we all just say "I know" because we have been there. That first baby is an experience! But I hope it stays put a little longer.

Today is Lady Bug's 8th birthday. I can't believe it! She is so funny. When I asked her what she wanted, she told me fabric to go with her little design set. I don't think she has cut or sewn one single piece, but I'll go to the fabric store and buy her a fat pack or two. Then I'll head over and buy her some new earrings!

Peace.

No comments: