Thursday, June 14, 2007

What I have done this week

This week has passed very quickly. I can’t believe the time is gone.

It began with a bang - literally. About 7 pm there was a bang, and the lights went out. I could tell it wasn’t just a little outage. It was different. Our local looting and pillage group hasn’t been able to supply a constant stream of electrons into our house forever, but recently it has been worse. We would get little flashes, but then the lights would come back on.

So I called our provider to report the outage. I waited on the line to get an estimated power restore time. They said 11 pm. Being without electricity - hence air conditioning - here in swamp land is cruel and unusual punishment. I couldn’t believe it!

So I headed to the cabinet in the hall bath where all the lights for hurricanes are stored. I finally got them out and began to assemble them. I found them to be completely unsatisfactory. I will be replacing that stash soon. They will never work for several days.

As the time went on, I called back to check on the progress. Now our estimated time of return to civilization is 3 am. Oh we are in deep doo. G had his usual reaction to things of this nature. He had a temper tantrum. What a waste of energy, and all it did was to add more heat to the situation.

He went to bed - complaining all the way. About 1 am I called again. This time our estimate was 6:30 am. I didn’t like the progression of this situation.

About 2am, Simone barked. That in itself is weird. She never barks. But there were voices outside. When I looked at the wall in our pitch black den, there were strobe effects. I rushed to the front window to look out, and there was salvation. There were two trucks in front of our neighbor’s house. Civilization exists.

About 3:30am, the TV sprang to life. Lights blazed and fans ran. We had power. We were saved from certain steaming to death.

In more mundane news, I saw Dr Poison on Tuesday. He was noncommital about what happens after my last chemo. Last night I learned from a friend that was not unusual. When her son had cancer, they experienced the same thing. So the ride will continue for several more weeks before I know what my future holds.

I kept Lady Bug on Tuesday and Wednesday. She was a typical 6 year old, and we had a talk about that. She promised not to put Simone into her crate and close the door again.

I get to finish my treatments at the main poison center. The new office where I have been going is having some type of problem where they can’t get the drugs delivered there. That means a one way trip of 20+ miles rather than 7, but I have been lucky. I only have to make that trek a total of three times, and I got one out of the way yeserday when I got the red blood cell shot.

So what have you been doing?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to live in California where there aren't any thunder/lighting storms to cause the power to go out. I love those storms but like my power too. I just had my new base line mammogram done. Everything "appears" normal, except my breast! I still have the radiation tan mark, a crusty nipple, an orange peel look and it's still swollen. So not only am I smaller on the left side I am also firmer. I have been told that my firmness will disappear...damn. I don't know what to tell you about after-chemo (since I didn't need it) but maybe your nurses might know. Are you going to have radiation therapy?

Grandma K said...

LeeAnn - there wasn't a cloud in the sky and no lightning or thunder (unusual this week) near. I don't know what will happen if we get a hurricane in the Gulf! We probably won't have power for 6 months.

I hope everything is normal for you. I tried to pin Dr Poison down last appointment as to radiation, etc. He said we would talk about the future when I complete chemo. We'll see.