Friday, August 18, 2006

Into the war zone we go

Sunday we will venture into the land of the grumpy man. We are going to see the in laws. It will be interesting to see how the waters are now that they are both getting some sleep. I know FIL is simply not going to give the place a fair chance. I just hope I’m wrong.

We get to be the sacrificial lambs that take a list of tasks that the home helpers could/should do - if MIL hires them back again. They need to have someone come in. They do need some help. Three hours, three times a week was too much, but they need someone to go shopping for them, help MIL with bathing, prepare some small meals/snacks.

I thought they were on a full meal plan there, but they get a continental breakfast and either lunch or dinner. They have a small kitchen in their apartment, and I guess they are expected to make something for themselves. They have the smallest dish washer I have ever seen in that kitchen! It is about half the size of a normal one.

When G looked in the refrigerator, he saw lots of dog food and salad dressings. What a combination. I have no idea where that came from. There was also a loaf of bread. I guess they could make salad dressing sandwiches!

I think both are exhibiting some dementia. They have problems remembering things. I think that’s another reason FIL doesn’t like the place. It is on the other side of town from their house, and he is afraid he will get lost. That happened to my dad, and he had lived in V’s house for fifteen years.

At any rate, Sunday should be very interesting. We’ll see if I can keep the dog from "humpiing" my leg the entire visit. Yes, he that well trained now!

No comments: