Friday, November 01, 2019

The story continues

Just when I thought there would be no changes - there are.  As I have said, the owner has stage 4 ovarian cancer.  She is getting chemo right now.  But I didn't know she would be having surgery in early December.  Well, she is.  So that means they are asking to delay closing until the 20th.  Now IF I still decorated for Christmas I would be really upset.  But I haven't in years!!

The thing I am worried about is that this year looks like it is going to be COLD in Texas.  We have had freezing or near freezing in Southeast Texas (Houston area).  We have tropical and semi-tropical plants.  Usually, I would put them in our storage building, BUT (1) we are in the process of cleaning it our and (2) I don't want to have to move them twice.  Yeah - I know = sounds like a personal problem!  It is, but all the same - plans change.  My daughter will "foster" my two six-foot Hawaiin plumerias.  I really don't want to lose them.  The other plants I will just have to group in the corner of the patio which is on the south side and pretty protected = they hope and pray.

I did get a giggle from the email their agent sent ours.  She said normally they would "negotiate" the amended offer (well, OK) but they wanted to leave the neighbors with good feelings - even at their loss.  Then the male owner looked at our inspection report.  He said nothing about the serious defects (that could result in the house burning down) but nitpicked the little things that made no sense to me.  I was reminded of the old saying "gagging on gnats and swallowing elephants!"

I have been throwing things out.  Yesterday out went the (outdated!!) VCR tapes.  I really was hoping there was some recycling place since they are covered in toxic chemicals.  AND I had hoped I could find a taped segment of my beloved Taz playing with the water sprinkler.  Alas - reality struck.  We put out about eight bags (couldn't get them too heavy) last night when we were pretty sure there wouldn't be any goblins to tear them open and spread all that around.  And the decluttering will continue today - and tomorrow - and the next day - and ...

So I may not be complete with my venting - yet.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Karen, this sounds exciting and scary all at the same time.
I hope you get all the problems in the house fixed so you will know you are moving in a home that is safe.

yellowdoggranny said...

since the guy is probably having to deal with what his wife is going thru and feels like everything is out of his hands and control..maybe the nitpicking is his only way to have some control over something..it got cold here and then it's going to be back in the 70's..sigh*

Marti said...

I think JackieSue is right. Decluttering is hard, but will make moving so much easier. If you are going to get the weather that moved in on us today, I'd bring those plants in. The wind was 40-45 and wind chill was down to freezing by 6pm.