Friday, March 08, 2019

Easier than I expected

My surgery was on the 26th.  Needless to say I was nervous.  That was really a wasted energy!

We did stay in a hotel near the hospital since the hospital is about an hour from home.  I didn't sleep well at all.  The mattress was far from my wonderful one, I was either too hot or too cold, and I was afraid I would oversleep!

Orders said to shower with the antiseptic soap the night before and the morning of surgery.  That was some nasty stuff.  But I followed those orders.

The morning of surgery was something.  In Pre-op, they wouldn't put the IV in my right arm because I have had a mastectomy and have been able to avoid lymphedema for these eleven years.  SO it was the foot since the left was the topic of the day!

They nurse said the veins there were great.  But they weren't.  IV's in the foot are painful.  As she tried to hit the vein, it "rolled."  After about what seemed like a life time, she left and came back with xylocane.  It was then to go to the other foot, but with the numbing, if wasn't too bad.  It took several tried, but finally success.

After that wonderful experience, what was going to seem like a long wait of two hours was over and I was wheeled into surgery.

To cut to the chase, my surgeon had called for a nerve block.  It. Was. A Great. Thing!  My granddaughter used the same surgeon and had the nerve block also.  We laughed about how you think you can lift that arm, but it doesn't move - but there was no pain either.

I am now a week and a half out.  I have begun PT.  The mobility is getting better and better each day.  I can use this hand to type - which I couldn't last week.  I still want to use this hand to lift, but immediately get the message not to do that - a cramp in the bicept.   But all in all - no real pain any longer - and if there is, it isn't as bad as before surgery.  Increased movement.  I am amazed.

And as usual - I am wondering WHY I waited so long.  I just wish I could drive myself places.

2 comments:

Judy said...

It always seemed to me like the pain after surgery was bad, but not as bad as before and we know it's eventually going to go away. Keep at that PT, it really is the biggest part of joint surgery.

Marti said...

I'm glad you are doing well. Was it worth staying at the hotel to save travel time?

You'll be driving before you know it and have your freedom back again.