Tuesday, May 08, 2007

How sad

Facts are facts. I must face the reality that the relationship that I considered to be my best friend has finally died. I cannot administer life support anymore. I am so sad.

I really thought this person was really my best friend. I have always been there for her. When her mother died, I provided food for her family and those who gathered after the funeral. When Dad died, nothing.

That statement sounds petty. I’m not out to get more from a relationship than I give, but that was just an example of how this "friendship" has been going.

She and I taught together and were practically inseparable. I retired and she went into IT work. We would email, which is really silly. We live four blocks apart. I knew her hours were early and long, so I respected her rest time and didn’t call. I would wait for her to call me.

Now she has been "downsized." There were promises of getting together, etc. She said she would go with me to my chemo and so on. I have not heard from her.


No I lied. I have caller ID. She DID call once - when I was at chemo. Childish as it sounds, I decided to see if she would call again. Nope.

So I have come to the conclusion that this relationship should be declared deceased. It hurts. I am in mourning for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your friend might not know how to handle you having cancer and therefore is avoiding you for fear of saying/doing the wrong thing. It might be "smart" to just drop in on her and show her that you are still you. Once she feels comfortable with the cancer thing she'll be back to being more friendly. Good luck.

Grandma K said...

leeann - thanks for keeping me grounded. I appreciate your comments so much.