Thursday, August 14, 2014

Delightful day

Yesterday was really a great day.  And now I will proceed to bore you with my great day.

It began with what wasn't so wonderful.  I had to go to the grocery store.  I have gotten to really dislike going to the grocery.  But it was either that, or I would have to go out to cut grass and harvest grape leaves for greenery!  But I went - without a smile.

On the way I stopped to send back the "old" new camera with the cracked LCD on the back.  As I read the fine print, I may not get the $71 for it.  Well - we'll see.  The guy at the post drop was so funny.  I told him I would have to buy some clear tape because I didn't have any to cover the shipping label.  He whipped out his tape dispenser and began to cover the top of the package with clear tape.  He moved toward the cash register.  I thought he was going to charge me for sending it.  My expression remained unchanged, but my mind was thinking - "he's going to charge me for tape AND shipping."  After a bit, he put the camera in the package, and with a twinkle in the eye just said thank you.  He was clearly playing with me.  Sweet man. 

At the store, the man in produce was working hard filling the lettuce part.  It looked so pretty - all fully stocked and neat.  I told him I hated to take any out of the display because it certainly did look so pretty.  Made a big hole.  These days we eat a lot of lettuce.  Well, G said I eat a lot of lettuce, and it's true.  When I make salads for lunch, I make large ones.

I laughed as I was making my way through the aisles making sure I was checking my list and coupons.  They came on with the announcement that in two minutes they would be giving away a product to those shopping right now.  It is something that isn't on the shelves.  Hurry over to the end of aisle 12 by the meats, there is only a certain amounts of the free item.  Blah, blah, blah.

No one around me changed direction to hurry over there.  No one seemed to be paying attention.  And I have heard this announcement before.  I was unmoved.  A little curious, but not enough to run over to the end of aisle 12 by the meats.

When it was time that I got there, those five women were listening to a spiel about a cleaning product.  Same thing I saw them demonstrating the last time I heard them do this "give away."

Got home.  Unpacked the groceries.  Heated the po'boys that a greatly loved sandwich shop in the Houston area puts in some grocery stores, and settled in for the afternoon that I was looking forward to.

G was going to be leaving in a bit to take Reagan to the movies.  I. HAD. THE. AFTERNOON. TO. MYSELF!  They were going to see "Masters of the Universe" or whatever that movie is.  While I had heard great things about it, it just isn't in my genre of movies.  And if that's the case, I see no reason to spend the big bucks on it.

He was going to take the girls, but Katie wasn't really interested.  I think she was still licking her "wounds" to her pride, and it was determined that there were too many "monsters" in the movie for Karrington.  So they stayed home and baked cupcakes.  So I didn't have to babysit them either.  Not that it would have been a problem - they are easy.

I wasted devoted my afternoon to perusing my Facebook groups.  I finally weaned myself from the games, but now I have about a million machine embroidery groups I follow.  Facebook, you dastardly thing!  You really pull in all of those of us with addiction tendencies.

Even dinner was easy.  When I put my great find of a pork shoulder that was big enough for family dinner and low priced into the freezer outside - I spied a container of Creole Shrimp.  DINNER!!  Rescued the rice maker that has been put away since Simone's passing, made some rice, and we had a great dinner.  Some bolos (bread) would have been great, but we still managed to force it down.  It was so, so good.

While G was gone, I found some lessons on the digitizer I have, and printed them off.  I like to think he is the one who uses all the ink in the cartridges.  Never let him know that I sometimes print off what is close to a book!

It was a great day!

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

Nothing is ever free! If you don't have to pay for a product you usually have to listen to a long sales talk! And I also hate grocery shopping. I always have!

Marti said...

LOL on your trip to town. I hate going to the store too. Nothing is more heavenly than a day to do whatever you want. Your dinner sounds good. Was it as easy as you made it sound?

Judy said...

I too print out instruction books because...I find them easier to understand if I can hold them and read them, instead of reading them on the computer. I got to an inkjet refill place--cheaper than buying new "-)