Thursday, November 01, 2012

Mornin' all

I am still distressed by the ravaged results of the storm.  My heart goes out to all who suffered such loss.  I can give absolute sympathy.  It is such a helpless feeling, but I know how strong the human spirit it - especially if you live in a coastal area.  Prayers of healing to you all.

In other things - my mind is still not fully back home.  I still can't believe we are home for a three weeks.  Yesterday I went upstairs to work on a lovey I promised a neighbor at the SSB.  I completely forgot she had asked for it for a friend.  I gave her one for her granddaughter.  It is the favorite toy.  So, got that done.  Then I began working on the battery operated tea light covers for the craft show here in our little village.  Hope it doesn't snow/rain/or knee surgeries this year!

I am finally doing laundry today - for me.  I am ashamed to say that I have enough clothes for three weeks - well actually two I guess since I have a complete wardrobe at the SSB - and still have clean clothes for this week at least..  Yet - I still say the old thing of "I don't have anything to wear. Need to get over that!

I laugh at G when we travel however.  He leaves with two suitcases - one not completely filled.  He returns with two empty suitcases, but a plastic bag for clothes worn for almost each day we have been gone.  I don't know what he thinks will happen if something that has been worn dares to touch anything not worn.  My clothes don't get THAT dirty.  Plus I travel with clothes packed into the zippered bags that bedding and the like comes in.  I realize you have to plan and RE-FOLD your used clothes rather than wadding it into the little plastic laundry bags from the hotel, but it works.  I just laugh when we get home.  The back of the Highlander was filled with little plastic bags!

I have finally succeeded in going through all the mail that had piled up.  Guess where most of it went - the recycling, trash, or was shredded.  Very little of it was important.

There was one that was important.  We had Vivint as an alarm company for two years.  I planned to keep them for only two years because I feel as though I was duped by their high pressure salesman who, I thought, didn't really represent himself well.  At the time I had Brinks.  I thought he was from Brinks.  So I sucked it up - and continued for the duration of the contract.

At the end - we called to cancel.  They kept us on hold for over 30 minutes.  We called back and finally talked to someone.  They said send a fax.  We sent a fax.  Then it was send a letter.  We sent a letter.

Having real suspect thoughts about the company, I went to the bank and paid to have the automatic debit from the bank account stopped because it was too close to bill time.  We then went ahead to have another system put in.  While that was going on, we got a phone call from Vivint that the alarm was sounding.  I told them that we cancelled their system, and yes - it was being ripped out to be replaced.

Then a paper bill came.  So we send another letter - registered mail.  When we got home from the SSB, there it was - another bill.  For over $150.  I called.  The first person I talked to denied hearing from us at all.  The second admitted there was a call - no letters, no fax.  Then he said that the contract had the date of July 10 as the last time to cancel the August 10 date which was the end of the contract.  He wanted me to try to get out of our new contract so he could cut me a deal.  In other words - I was in another two year contract like it or not.  I told him with the way their company works I would never go back to them.

As it ended up, it was that I would be turned over to a collection agency.  I told him to go right away and do that.  My credit is exemplary and his little piddling report would  not hurt me.  Besides, I don't plan to purchase something where my credit report is important!

Then yesterday another branch of that company called.  She wanted to work out a payment plan or something.  I tried to be as polite as possible telling her that I realized she was only the messenger, but I was so angry with her company I could not be very civil.  I told her also to go right ahead to do what she had to do because they would not get one penny from me.  Then I told her they could sue my estate when I died since I am 67 year old cancer survivor.  Good luck!

So if you want an alarm - please be sure you go with a big company.  They don't do this sort of thing.  I had heard of a case here where the consumer was promised the company was nation wide since he would be moving out of state.  They don't cover his new area and are .... wait for it ... demanding payment for the remainder of the contract.  I can't remember the resolution of that one - wish I did.  Wouldn't surprise me if it weren't Vivant!

4 comments:

JuJu said...

What horrible shisters! (I have no idea how to spell that)
Good for you for not giving in and telling them to stick their contract in a sock!

Enjoy your "VACATION" at home!

Marti said...

Good for you. Have you turned them into the Attorney General and BBB too?

I had to laugh about your dh's empty suitcases. I'm the same way. No dirty clothes are allowed to touch clean ones. I never thought about taking two suitcases though. Tell him I like that idea. lol

Judy said...

I also put my worn clothes in a plastic bag. Breaks my heart that the Outer Banks got damaged, but last year's hurricane Irene hit them even worse. I just love that area. You are a busy girl!!!

yellowdoggranny said...

what a bunch of crooks..glad your home safe and sound