Thursday, July 26, 2012

*&*()&%^*(&%(%

I have a virus - no, I mean this computer has a virus.  I have tried to be so careful about protecting my machines.  I usually go to overkill (no pun intended here) to keep viruses and their buddies out.  But since the protection programs are becoming so proprietary, there were issues with the new versions, so I dropped one of them.

I first noticed that I was getting pop-ups galore when I went on-line.  My first
''polly-anna" thought was the server had changed their policies.  I use two different ones, but I still wanted to believe the world had changed - not MY computer - the one I diligently protect.


So last night I loaded my previously used firewall/virus program.  It immediately told me my computer was infected.  It spend quite a while "disinfecting" it.  It required immediate re-start.  So I did.  


Every time I tried to go on line after that - I was dumped.  I figured I was in big trouble.  And I couldn't start this procedure at a reasonable time!  No, I wait until 11 pm.  I. AM. SO. BRIGHT. SOMETIMES.  


The last time I started the computer I decided I better get smart and restart in safe mode.  That allowed me to go to a previous point (whatever the heck it is called - I am old remember - 67 today.).  That got rid of all the "new" stuff, and put me back where the computer worked.

This morning, I have downloaded a free program that my son's computer guru friend swears by to get rid of crap.  It has been running.  We will see.  Most of the pop-ups are gone.  So far I have avoided the computer hospital.  With any luck ...



Peace




3 comments:

JuJu said...

Oh, I'm so sorry your computer is feeling poorly!

And, wait a minute!!! Is today your birthday???

Cheyenne said...

I have been quite successful with the free program by Avast! *Knock on wood*

I also use Crap Cleaner and Malwarebutes...both free.

I hope you have success with whichever one you are using.

yellowdoggranny said...

I like my free avast too...and what a time to tell us it's your birthday..hope its a good one..happy birthday