Thursday, April 12, 2012

Par for the course

Once again, I find myself sewing my little fat fingers to the bone because I am behind schedule.


I want to make labels to go in the tied fleece blankets our women's group is making for a charity that helps young women facing unplanned pregnancies.  We have made several of these blankets - they are so cute - and I don't want our efforts to go unknown.  I asked the group about having labels to go in the things we have made, and they agree fully.


I ordered some labels that would go in clothing.  They are like small clothing labels, but these blankets are much larger.  I know quilters add a larger label to their things, so I designed a heart with "Tied with love by Celebration Lutheran Women."  I think we had 9 made the day we did them, and I am making 12 more.  I don't think I will get the 12 completed before Saturday, but I really need to get the labels done - so once again behind schedule.


Then I am counting on the four weeks of Easter celebrated in our (and a lot of other) church.  My Easter Bunny is going to stay on the wreath on the front door a while longer!  Especially since we will be in the wilderness next week (Tuesday to Tuesday).


On that note - I have always felt a little more secure about not finding rattlesnakes around the house.  When they put the house in, the foundation and retaining wall used a very coarse granite gravel around the house.  The guy who put it in said there could be nothing that would grow in that gravel.  Boy was he ever wrong!! Over the years, more and more plants have sprouted in that stuff.  


These current plants are growing like, well, weeds.  They are thick.  G cut all around the house, but they were so thick it would stop up the mower!  To get to my point, one of our hunters was there last week.  I imagine he was cutting around the house (we do that - G cut around his hunter's cabin last time).  He killed a rattler by the house.  It was CLOSE to the house.  So, I no longer relish the fact we have never killed one. Where there's one - there is more. 


I am sure it was attracted by the mice that I would imagine are trying to gain access to the house again.  So I will have to begin my battle with those things again.  I have been resting on my laurels that I have them under control, but spring has sprung, and I am sure that their "sap" is rising too.  They are feeling the demand to keep the population growing, and what better place than a nice house to raise their offspring.  Ugh!


One final thought.  All of you OLTL fans - you got some justification recently.  I saw today that "The Revolution" has been cancelled.  It wasn't too bad - but I only liked Tim Gunn really.  I'm sorry that Ty gave up his other show to be on this one.  


Anyway - they will be replacing it with Katie Courie's new talk show.  We are really slipping into the depths now.  I watched her on GMA last week while she was filling in for Robin.  If that's as good as she will be on this talk show - she won't be long for the air.  I think the reason she was on GMA was to get more coverage and interest for that show.  She better work on her interviewing skills.  They stink right now!


So I am off to medicate my sick dog, and then to sew labels!


Peace

3 comments:

JuJu said...

Grandma K, you and I are kindred spirits when it comes to the tv shows. Katie sucks. Robin rules. Tim Gunn Rules. I still miss AMC and OLTL. I'm glad GH is safe. STILL hate the CHew.

Good luck with those pesky rattlers. I can't even begin to give you advice on this one.

Or with the blankets. :-)

yellowdoggranny said...

If they're smart they'll bring OLTL back..I bet everyone would take pay cuts to get back on the air.

Marti said...

I wouldn't feel very secure knowing a rattlesnake was next to the house either.

I didn't love the Revolution, but it was ok. I don't love Katie Couric though. So there's another hour with nothing to watch.