Monday, February 06, 2012

Weekend update for 2/5/12

This weekend was totally uneventful.  Daughter would probably not like that statement since I went to her house for part of the Super Bowl.  Nice time snacking.  G stayed home with his "stuff."

The real thing in the back of my mind is that I am terribly afraid our church will have to close its doors.  We really do have a great Pastor.  But he also is the reason we may have to close.  You see, we are broke.

We are still considered a mission church I guess.  We signed our charter a few months ago, and I don't know if that  moves us from charter to full church or what, but we are not taking in enough money to make our bills.  Forget a budget.  We don't have such a thing.

Money is never discussed in this church - which is refreshing, but this is the outcome.  When this church was formed, another congregation put up money for it to get started.  The Synod put up money.  Guess what - yep, that money is almost gone.  Out outgo is about twice what our income is.

The organization of this church is different from any Lutheran (there, I've said it} church with which I have been associated.  We don't have elected officers.  We have a Board of Elders.  I don't think Congregational Meetings are a part of the life of the church.  It is 5 years old.  We have been off and on before, but now are members.  I have witnessed one congregational meeting, and there was no treasurer's report - no budget presented.

Money is not talked about.  Until now.  I think we are within two months of being flat broke.  Money still hasn't been presented to the congregation.  On Thursday, the pastor is meeting with the top 10 families (in giving).  He is having a wine (we're Lutheran - remember) and cheese reception for the top 10.  I am wondering what is going to come from this.

I am heart sick.  I love the people I go to church with.  I love the pastor.  He is a great guy.  But he seemingly has driven this church into the ground.  There is no malfeasance that I can see.  He just wants to be dedicated to helping the community, and he thinks talking about money is gross.  Well, I would say it is time - probably way past time.

Please send good thoughts our way.  This is a good place.  His (Pastor's) heart is in the right place, and it is as big as Alaska (they outrank us in size).   We are needing a miracle I think.

Peace

1 comment:

JuJu said...

I will send up serious prayers for you and for your church. I know how wonderful it is to have a church which you love, and a good pastor. I had that at one time--until a bad pastor came in and it went to pot.

By the way, another thing we have in common: I'm Lutheran too. (Well, I was raised Catholic, but they don't really like twice divorced women getting communion and all that jazz)