Tuesday, February 07, 2012

I'm married to a saint

At least that's what he thinks he is.

He wants to argue with each and everything I say.  I could say the sky is blue with white clouds, and he would reply that it's azure with grey tinged clouds.  That's the best way I can describe how things go around here.

I knew it would be dicey when he retired.  Those hours of separation are good for us.  Now, unless I go upstairs - which I do daily, we are together 24/7.  Too much.

Even Daughter is beginning to notice he will argue with me for the sake of arguing.  Now that he has the crud, it's a thousand times worse.  She and I were discussing his propensity for argument Sunday when I went over to her house for the Super Bowl.  Obviously he stayed home.

Today was a perfect example.  The first question was the usual - what's for dinner.  I asked for an idea - he had none.  So I went to the freezer.  Now the freezer in our house is a mysterious place.  It is a chest type, so, like an archaeological dig,  it has its layers.  I really try to keep it straight, but that doesn't always work.  In fact just last week HE turned it all over.  I would go to an upright, but I don't like the one in the side by side any better!

That is why this is my subject today.  The most recent of the impending arguments.  I wanted my Weight Watcher Ice Cream Sandwich.  The box, and it is rather large, is no place to be seen in the freezer .  I did pick the entree for dinner off the top before doing a little cursory diving.  I moved a lot of "stuff" and the box didn't peek out from anywhere.

I mentioned I was looking for that box.  The answer was what I expected.  "I haven't seen it."  I wanted to say it was right on top before you began looking for something in there last week and turned everything upside down, but that would have led to an argument.  I don't feel like doing that today.  So I let it drop.

That was a disappointment to him because he countered with "well then, we can spend the rest of the day cleaning out the freezer."  Nope - not in my plans for the day.  Besides, can you imagine the result of that little move.  There is not room in the utility room for the two of us, and I don't want to spend the afternoon being accused  of something like leaving items in there for too long.  You see, everything that goes wrong around here is my fault.

(a little side bar here - Sunday night he actually accused me of throwing out the plastic bottoms of the food storage thingies.  I wanted to bean him with a cast iron skillet.  I replied I didn't do that, and he made some smart, nonsensical reply like  - if I had done it it would all be gone.  Uh - OK??  I do think you have really gone off the deep end now.)

So, two shots across the bow, and still no argument.  I really upset his day!

Peace.

4 comments:

JuJu said...

You're going to KILL him with kindness. :-)

now tell me, did you get your ice cream sandwich???

Jeanette said...

Kudos to you for keeping your mouth shut! I don't think I would have been able to! I see big problems for us when my husband and I retire. I hope we can both find plenty of seperate things to do!

yellowdoggranny said...

jackiesue is gleefully tap dancing around the living room singing .it's so nice to be single..

Judy said...

Ah--the joys of marriage. Been there, done that, got out, much happier!