Saturday, December 24, 2011

This and that

First - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  After today, things will be crazy, but I wanted to leave you with those wishes.

I have been thinking in the last couple of days (no smart remarks, please!) about how traditions change.  What we think of as traditions are there only to change.  As our kids get older, they begin to make THEIR own traditions.  I saw it happen as we and our kids got older - there is no longer the greater family get together at Christmas, at all.  We don't see the in-laws at all like we used to.  Our kids and their kids all have their own families or things to do.  It is just too much of a hassle to get together like before.  I do miss that.

Even things we did as a family (us and our kids) have changed in the last couple of years.  There are more grandchildren, and our kids are setting their traditions with their kids.  Sometimes, as I am seeing now, the grandparents are sort of pushed aside.  At first I had my feelings hurt a little, but I do realize now what is happening.

Today our big point on the agenda is church at 7:30.  Now if I were thinking of our old church, I wouldn't even dream of going.  All the C&E members will be there, and unless I were the organist as I used to be, I wouldn't have a seat.  This church isn't that way.  Oh, we will be crowded, don't kid yourself, but we are so small that we have very, very few C&Eers.  So off we will go - in the glorious rain!!!

Tomorrow will be interesting.  I am sure Daughter wants us to be there in the morning - which means a big breakfast.  We would go to Son's, but there is a 10 mile difference.  Daughter is a mile, he is 11 miles.

Then we will go to DIL's mother's house for lunch.  As a posted before - gumbo and probably ham.  Plus there will be so much food her counters will nearly collapse.  Things will be great - if her son isn't there.  He doesn't like one or more of us - probably my SIL.  That family doesn't care for him - he still cannot get over his bragging and loud mouth, and that doesn't go in their family.

Then tomorrow night we will be back at Daughter's house for dinner.  SIL works for a commercial oven company.  They gave him a commercial oven last year, and he had it hooked up yesterday.  So the hunk of beef that he has will be cooked in that.  They are inviting my across-the-street neighbors whose kidlets go to school with my grandkids as well.  So, it should be interesting.

We will be leaving on  Monday for the SSB.  This is one time I really don't want to go.  I don't know why.  I am usually up for the trip, but not so much this time.  I have been sewing each and every day.  It has become a routine, and I won't be taking things to do like that.  In fact, I don't know what I am going to take to keep myself occupied.  I know there is always cleaning house.  It needs it, but really??

So, have a great holiday season.  See you when I get home.  Peace be with you.

3 comments:

JuJu said...

Grandma K,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I am sitting here listening/watching Adele and thinking of you. I will always think of you when I do this; for years and years.

You are a blessing in my life and I pray for you a very happy 2012.
xxx

yellowdoggranny said...

Peace on you too...
have a wonderful new year.

Marti said...

I've thought of Christmas traditions for the last several years, and I'm kind of on the other side of the fence. Both my mil and my mother begged, pleaded, and insisted that we come to their homes at Christmas. It was a royal pain in the patoot to transport playpens and all the baby stuff plus Santa gifts to our kids and then have to bring home all of it plus the grandparents' gifts to the kids. But the worst part is that we never developed any of our own traditions. Now our kids are gone and I want them to come to our house when they come home for Christmas, and still my mom gets all bent out of shape if we don't come to her house at least every other Christmas. I wish I had put my foot down when our first child was born and made Christmas at home a priority.

Sorry for the rant. It's Christmas at my mom's this year. lol