Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Exciting days

Yesterday was another test of the Grandma's Lack of Technological Sense.  Thanks to my dear internet friend Judy, I got to play with our "new" home theater system.  The thing is at least three years old, and I still fight it.

I was going to watch the wonderful Adele DVD.  Oh, that meant that I had to put the DVD in the player.  That part I remembered.  Then came the real fun.  I had to get sound out of the speakers AND a picture on the screen.

You have to understand that I have trouble switching from regular tv to surround sound, and getting the radio on - well, let's just say that I try for about 15 minutes, then walk away!

So I loaded the DVD.  The easy part.  Then I began trying to get the sound. I finally got that, all the while knowing that I would never get to listen to Prairie Home Companion on Sunday again!

Then I tried everything I could think of to get the picture.  I knew G wouldn't settle for sound only with something completely off the subject on the screen.

I fiddled and fiddled.  Then the memory came flooding back into my feeble (post menopausal, post chemo) brain.  I needed yet another remote.  This action required three remotes.  You see, our fancy, expensive all in one remote that never worked properly is dead.  It is beyond revival.

We watch so many DVD movies I forgot how to work all that stuff.  When I got the third remote out, I remembered how to control the input, and viola, there was the picture.  I did it.  I had sound - out of the speakers, and an image on the screen.

We sat back and enjoyed the concert - greatly!!

Today began as a good day.  I got to sleep in!!!  We went to the Wednesday prayer and communion service, bought Daughter's birthday gift,and then found a new Italian restaurant.  The food was delightful as well as inexpensive.

That was the end of the beautiful day.  As we had already backed out of the parking space and were getting ready to pull out, there was a loud explosion sounding thingy.  I thought the car (yes, the "new" one) had blown up or something.  Nope - some little girl was in a hurry to leave and backed into us. So my bright, shiny new Toyota has a big boo-boo on the back.

What's even worse, I am hoping this is just nerves, but my sciatica, which has been hurting anyway again, is killing me.  I know when I get upset, it will hurt.  The back tightens up a lot.  Well ...  It is tight !  And I am upset. So, what will tomorrow bring?  We'll see.

Peace.

3 comments:

Marti said...

This has become a remote controlled world. I'm glad you figured it all out; now I know who to ask when I want to play my next video.

I'm so sorry about your car and most of all your sciatica. Hope you are better today. Did the girl have insurance, I hope? Parking lots scare me to death with people backing out at the same time. You'd think you'd have it made once out of the parking spot.

yellowdoggranny said...

if it doesn't have a carburetor i'm screwed.

JuJu said...

Oh no! A bump in the new car? That sucks. I hope it can be banged out.

Congrats on defeating the monstrous DVD and home theatre! You are Wonder Woman!