Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ohhhh - I want ...

Right now, I am stealing some time from being up in the "room" where I really need to complete the dress I have sitting on the machine.  The craft show is December 4, and I really need to have several more done.  I have done several little shirts with applique and/or embroidery.  They are easy.  This dress will be too - it's just I did nothing on it yesterday, and here's why:

I try to help out our local Boxer Rescue group.  I am a virtual foster which means I donate money each month to the care of these dogs.  Yesterday I had the opportunity to help in a real, physical way.  I volunteered to transport a dog from the vet's office (that treats up to five of these dogs at a time) to the kennel that holds some space for them.

I was to pick up "Angelica" and take her for boarding.  I knew nothing of her.  So, armed with Simone's harness for the car, a choke collar and a separate leash, off I went.  To cut to the chase - when she came out, she was the cutest thing.   She is a small little girl - two years old, or so.  She had just been spayed.  She is a twin for the boxer I talked my daughter into rescuing when my vet's office called me.

So we were off for the 30 minute drive to the kennel.  In that time, she enamored me completely.  I didn't want to leave her at that place.  She gave me hundreds of doggie kisses when we first met - as is the way boxers do.  She loved the ride - going from window to window, not missing a thing.

When we were sitting around last night, G was talking to Simone.  He said - "you need a pal, don't you."  I was ready to sent an email immediately asking to adopt Angelica.  I had fallen hopelessly in love with that baby.  We were seriously considering her - planning how to transport both dogs and the cat the 6 hours to the SSB.  I was ready.

In the light of morning, he had cooled on the idea.  I also thought more.  Some boxers have a huge prey drive - and they don't like cats - at all.  I have no idea how this dog will react to cats.  She seems docile.  She seems sweet.  But she also is still confused about what is going on with her.  So, I guess she will become someone else's baby.  She will make a wonderful pet.  I can see that in her.

So, the dangers of me having direct contact with these dogs is not good.  I fall in love with them.  I want them ALL.  Smacks of being an animal hoarder doesn't it.  Not really.  I know what the responsibilities are.  I know first hand that a rescued boxer can have health problems.  Boxers have inherent health problems as a breed.  Just looking at my Simone, you can see so much of what she must have endured before I got her.  Her canines are broken at the tips.  She has scarring on her legs.  I really believe she must have been struck by a car at some time in her life.  She had many, many litters of pups in her previous life.  She bears scars today - internal and external.  She is at least 8, and she is on her way to developing cancers.  She has started the mast tumors.

No, the possibility of expenses with several dogs is just too much - but I still fell completely in love with Angelica.  How that name fits that little girl!

And now to work I go.

Peace

3 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Peace, indeed.

JuJu said...

I think Angelica was lucky to have you for a couple hours. And, I think Simone and the kitty cat are VERY lucky people owners, indeed.

xxx

yellowdoggranny said...

she's a lucky girl.