Thursday, September 15, 2011

People are just amazing - not!

Yesterday we ventured out to buy a small vacuum cleaner for upstairs.  We have a canister vac - one that uses water for its filter.  It is too heavy to lug up and down the stairs.  So I wanted something other than the one that is up there.  It is really just a hand vac that has a handle that goes in it and a stupid little thingy for using on the floor.  Doesn't work well especially in a world of threads and bits of fabric because try as I might - those things are on that floor.  Plus when anything has to be done in the attic recesses,  crud gets pulled out and deposited on the carpet.

So we went to the store that replaced Mervyn's here in Swampland.  The K**l's store.  I found a vacuum that I THOUGHT was $99.  This was after  my $10 card for their anniversary.  When we checked out - no it was $159 - on sale and minus the $10. Well - OK.  I did like the machine.  So we loaded it up and headed out for the rest of our shopping trip.

When I got it out and put it together, I was wondering why the top of the canister for the dirt didn't fit properly.  As I turned it over and over, the HEPA filter fell out.  It. Was. Filthy.  That machine had been used.  A lot!

I was so upset (use your own word here - they will all fit the situation).  So I repacked it.  G came in, and I told him what had happened.  I expected a real storm of words - especially with his moods of late!  He was calmer than I.  So I called the store and was assured they would make it right.

We took it back this morning.  I had my credit card credited, and got another $10 store card.  We went back to look at the machines, but there was nothing I really wanted.  I don't want the $500+ nice one.  I want something that is fairly powerful, bagless, and above all - inexpensive!  They didn't have it.

I had already looked at their add.  I knew they had one for $80.  I ordered it to be delivered.  Of course - it will be next week, and we all know where we will be next week!  Joy.

The real upshot of this whole thing is I honestly believe that machine will go back out on the floor for some poor soul to buy - again.  It is filthy, and I told the woman at the returns that the power attachment was not there.  I saw her write no information about that thing.  I am really upset with them - I thought they were VERY reputable.   I just don't know.

Peace.

6 comments:

JuJu said...

I am so sorry that it was a disappointing experience for you.

Yet, my heart is warmed (is warmed a word? honestly, right now I can't remember...) that you are worried about the next person in line. I believe the majority of people wouldn't give a squat about anyone that came after them.

I hope all the good things come your way!

Cheyenne said...

We recently returned a broken microwave that lasted all of less than 3 years. My husband packed it in the box of the new one we bought just like it. He carefully taped the box and we then returned it to the store so they could put it in their recycle trailer. I have since thought that there is a strong possibility that microwave oven might end up on the floor to be sold. It is missing its plate and the magnetron is blown (no thanks to me...I turned it on without anything inside and ran it over 5 minutes). Oops!

Jeanette said...

Stores really need to look at returned merchandise before they return it to the floor. A few years ago I bought a coffee pot and when I got it home it had used coffee grounds in it! It was disgusting, and people are idiots who return stuff like that, too! Have a wonderful weekend!

yellowdoggranny said...

I bought one 3 christmas's ago on Black Friday at walmart for $25..it runs perfect.

Judy said...

Unbeleiveable!

MarkD60 said...

I know that would upset me too.

I always look for an unopened box when I'm shopping, or, open it in the store, make sure it's good, then buy it.