Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Checking in

Yipes, this appears to be my 1000th post!  I really had planned to do something a little more special like look back at where I have been.  But then, life has a way of getting in the way.

When I began this, cancer was looming really big.  I had a business selling candles that has morphed into other things - namely children's clothing.  I had one granddaughter, now I am expecting my sixth something...  probably a boy.  That would make us three and three (unless DIL decided to have another which will definitely be the end).

But since we got back from the SSB, I have been running.  It all began with the appointment with Dr Death (oncology) yesterday.  That went well.  My CA27.29 was up to 24.  The nurse said that was no worry.  The cut off is 38.  Well, ok - but right after the mastectomy and chemo it was something like 10.

I have pictures that are still in the camera with the exception of this one.  This is when we stopped to let Simone have a walk before we really hit the road home.  Her first potty break.  This is an example of our dirt roads.  If you look carefully, you can see the dead persimmons off to the right of the road, and there is absolutely no grass beside the road there in the fore ground.  Ranchers are selling their herds of cattle and even goats and sheep in record numbers.  There is no food for them except what can be bought, and that is so expensive.  Hay is something that cannot be found.

.  It is so very dry up there even the cedars (junipers in reality) are dying.  Live oaks and elms are also dying.  The whole area it basically a tinder-box waiting to explode in flames.

I will try to download more of the pictures tomorrow and bring some out of the folders already here to try to show the difference between good times and bad times up there.  

Be back tomorrow!

Peace.

7 comments:

JuJu said...

Happy 1000!!! Fantastic!

I'm glad Dr. Death gave you a good report.

I like that picture, it really shows what you've been talking about. I love hearing about your family growing!

Marti said...

What? No $1000 prize?

That is so sad for the farmers who are selling their livestock for a pittance. There is a guy down the street from us who has some miniature horses and a couple of regular sized ones, and he just got about 4 round bales delivered. They should probably be behind his barn and not out in plain sight. But they look like stuff that has been sitting out in a field for a couple of years.

Jeanette said...

Congratulations on your 1000th post!

Susan Adcox said...

Congratulations on your 1000th post! Most bloggers don't stick with it that long.

I'm in Texas, too, and we've had a bit of rain today. If the drought doesn't break, it's going to be disastrous for everyone. Falling production for farmers and ranchers, dead trees to be cut down at the cost of many thousands of dollars, and homes and property lost to fire. Let's hope for the best.

Judy said...

Congrats!! I have no idea how many posts I have. I guess I need to find out where to get that information. Wish you had our rain--it just keeps coming down as we are under a circulating low--rain bands just go around and around overhead.

yellowdoggranny said...

congratulations..glad you stuck with it.
i like having you around

Grandma K said...

Thank you all - I'm glad I am still here too! For more than one reason.