Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Hello again

I AM still alive!  We have been gone for a week in the dry Texas Hill Country.  It is really bad.  If we have any deer this time next year, I will be surprised.  We have about 20 head of cattle - a bull, cows and calves - for the next 30 or so days.  I don't know what they will find to eat by the time they go home.  It is such a terrible situation.  Ranchers all over our little community are selling off their herds.  Nothing to eat.

So this is to be a quick post to let you know that I did survive my cold turkey stopping of the pain meds.  It really was rough for a while, and perhaps I should have sought  medical advice to do it.  I honestly thought I wouldn't have a problem - at all.  Well ...

I quit a week ago Friday.  By Saturday, my head was splitting.  There were the other associated "problems" too.  When we were getting ready to leave on Tuesday morning, I couldn't think about what I really needed to pack, but we are pretty self sufficient there.  My main problem has been not sleeping well, but that happens sometimes up there.  I sleep like a rock or I don't sleep.  Such is life there.

I am better than I have been in a week.  But more than anything I am not in pain.  My back doesn't hurt.  My knees don't hurt.  I can climb stairs better than before.  Things are looking up.  I still have some other problems, but I am planning a trip to the GP to check them out, and I have a standing appointment with the oncologist in September.  So I will have other things checked out.

I am NOT saying the Pain Clinic was all bad.  The spinal injections absolutely helped.  I just couldn't see being on opiates the rest of my life.

Glad to be back with internet!!

Peace.

2 comments:

Judy said...

OH--how I wish to get to your pain free state!!! I am going to the pain clinic a smarter woman because of reading your helpful words!

Marti said...

How odd that pain meds were actually causing the pain. I'm glad you are out of pain and can climb stairs again. I bet that was a rough week though. Good for you!