Sunday, April 24, 2011

But she's still a child of God

We have changed churches. We are Charter Members of this church. This church is active in their out-reach. Everyone knows your name. That's why we changed - along with the fact Daughter did this several months before us after we all visited.

This church goes to the home for the mentally challenged to spend time with them - painting fingernails and the like. These kids are brought into "town" for church. I think it is really neat! I especially liked the young man who punctuated things with his "ieeeee." Such a sound of joy.

This morning G and I were greeters and ushers. That was a surprise since neither of us volunteered! But that's ok. We want to serve. The only reason I brought that up is because we sat close to the door.

Oh I forgot to tell you - we are housed in a strip mall. We don't have the money to build a place, so we are housed where we can afford. We were meeting in an elementary school for a while, but they put an end to it. I don't really know why.

Anyway back to my story. We were sitting in the back row - last two seats. Someone was coming in after the beginning hymn. I think that is the attendant's way of doing things. The girl (woman?) who was obviously a downs syndrome - and possible more - pushed her way past G, and then me. The attendant and a young man obviously more effected came in. The woman sat next to me.

We were asked to stand, and she was closer and closer to me. I had on my new bright yellow top - and holding a cup of coffee. I usually can manage to spill whatever I am consuming on myself, but it looked like I was going to get a little help. I told G, and wisely we put the cup in the little kitchen area. I was worried that she was going to sit in my chair however.

The pastor hadn't gone to the front yet, and I saw him tell G something. I really thought it concerned ushering or something, but it was a reminder or heads up that they were from the home.

After service, he said something again. I truthfully replied that I was blessed that they were in attendance. And I really was.

He is risen. He is risen indeed, Hallelujah.

2 comments:

JuJu said...

This post really helped me today. Thanks very much!

Marti said...

I love those fledgling churches. We helped start one once and I think it was one of the best experiences of my life. What a blessing for all of you.

btw, it only rained a few minutes. :(