Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Taxing situations

As you know - it is Income Tax time in the land. Everyone is gathering up paperwork from the previous year. They are possibly finding out they have lost some important documents as well as some non so important. That is where I stand right now!

In previous years, this was a dark and stormy time around these parts. The main tax man was in a terrible moon beginning about February. Every living soul in this house would find some place else to be when dad entered the "tax preparation place."

Recently the time has been less stressful for the most part. The part that is stressful is when I have to find things like my medical, and other miscellanea about this house and the rental. That's when I am wanting to become invisible and wishing that I really had been more careful in filing my stuff.

The biggest loss this year was information about the insulation that was put in here and the rent house. Important? Oh yes! There is the energy tax credit on this house, and the expense on the other house.

I have torn files apart looking for all my things. As far as medical, my doctors are not giving statements when I go. Even if I paid for service at the time, I used to get a nice page stating what was done to me, and what I paid. Now I get a small cash register tape. I can't find those as soon as I get home! The pages with the medication is better, but I don't open those in the study - by the files.

I have torn this house apart looking for the nice little folder I had with the insulation stuff. I searched all the checkbooks looking for that information. Was't there. So today, I put my price far, far away and called the company. They were so sweet. They will be sending me a copy of the papers tomorrow. My life was saved.

So the taxes are ready. My flub from last year didn't cause too big a stir - I just forgot to put a rather large sum into my IRA. That will cost some this year to file an updated form and pay the penalty, but it has been a rather easy time this year. Hope you got a huge amount back!

Peace be with you.




1 comment:

Cheyenne said...

Taxes...that's a sore subject in my house too since I am the one that has to do them. It has become a tad easier as the years go by and using the computer to file free is really nice, too. But it doesn't make them any nicer for me no matter how easy it has become. I keep a medical folder where everything goes and then when I get time I write it in a notebook under different headings. Also, as the paperwork comes in the mail it all gets filed into one folder. I haven't lost anything in a long time and that is unusal for me.