Tuesday, March 01, 2011

It may come about

First an update on the horrible fire here. It was apparently a pot with oil in it was left on the electric (makes a difference??) stove, and thus the terrible smoke for the amount of fire. The woman does appear to have fled the states. They have a tape showing her at Target at the time of the fire. The death count still stands at 4 with three in various conditions in different hospitals. Luckily two children were not in day care that day.


Now on to today's stuff. Yesterday I went to every woman's favorite physician's appointment. Yes, I went to my ObGen. I love him so much the exam just flies by. Or perhaps I am so old nothing bothers me more, I don't know which truth is strongest. Anyway, after the results of not having gone in 10 + years (the breast cancer) I make that appointment every year - and make sure I love it - I'm alive to be there!

Just after my appointment last year, some woman in my extended family told me he had bladder cancer. That was such a blow, so when I saw him yesterday I asked about it. He had been diagnosed before my last appointment which was January 2010. To bring the story to where we are, he is participating in a study. He has two more chemos which appear not to be as devastating as the chemo for other cancers. And right now - he is clear of any cancer. Hallelujah!

But I did have a question for him beyond our cancer connection. I was pretty sure I knew the answer since he referred me to this surgeon for the breast cancer. I have mulled the gastric sleeve for a year now. I mean seriously this time. I talked to the surgeon last year, and I have all the forms that have to be completed before insurance would approve this. I guess they want to weed out those who really don't need it for whatever reason. So I took step one with my PCP.

Anyway, my darliing OB did say that my surgeon would be someone I would have anyone use. My PCP sounded like he didn't really like the surgeon. He said to really look around. That's funny because the surgeon didn't want my knees done by my orthopedic guy. And he was great.

So yes, I am seriously looking for this surgery. It appears I just can't do this on my own, and the OB said I should come through it well because of my past history (starting 4+ years ago with the mastectomy). I am embarrassed to admit that , one, I am that overweight, and two, I seem to not be able to lose it without major surgery. I have to do something. I thought the metformin would do it, but the good effects are going to stop.

Enough crying on your shoulder. And I just heard a news break - the day care owner's family are also "on the move" whatever that really means. I guess I will learn in a few minutes.

Peace be with you.

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

Such a tragic thing that daycare fire. Good for you for considering that surgery. I would make sure the doctor has lots of experience with that kind of surgery. Good luck!

Judy said...

Get a couple of opinions on the surgery. I have a friend who had the surgery and did great with it--losing over 150 pounds, but that was 6 years ago. Can you believe, she has gained almost 100 pounds back? It takes a real change in life style--like me trying to quit smoking. We've been this way for so long that to change seems so alien to us. Well--we will keep at it until we conquer it--right?