Thursday, March 10, 2011

I am such a coward

I knew as soon as the subject of the Stock Show was mentioned this morning when Daughter called. I steeled myself for the question. And sure enough - here it came. It went something like this:
Her:"we have to work at the show tonight. I would have the kids go to L**'s house, but I don't want to set upset her girl's sleeping schedule. T** (the usual sitter) has swim practice in the morning, so I don't want to keep her out too late since she has to get up at 5 to get there (a fact I know for sure because they practice at the school where I taught - those poor kids were coming out of the building like drowned rats when I was going to work). I hate to ask ...

Me:"it's ok, I'll do it. "

What was in my mind:
"why don't you tell your dear hubbie that we can't do this thing that goes on for two or more weeks when we have small children that I cannot get a regular sitter during the week that we have to work?!?!?"

Needless to say, but guess where I will be tonight from 5:30 to 11:30.

Peace be with you.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Mothers--we keep our curt replies to ourselves and suffer for it.

yellowdoggranny said...

if it's not one thing.....? it's a mother.

Susan Adcox said...

I feel the same way about some of the things that my daughters volunteer for, or take on for very little pay. I just want to ask them if it's really worth giving up their time with their kids. Oftentimes, when it is time to actually do the activity, I think they are wishing they could skip it. Sometimes they just say yes too fast.