Thursday, December 23, 2010

OK - I lied

Here I am again even when I said I wouldn't. Yeah, I lied.

I wanted to talk about Advent. I have said before - I am an old time Lutheran. I love the ritualism. I love the old hymns. I love the old liturgy. I hate the new hymns. I hate the new liturgy. I hate the loss of the ritualism and the bringing in worship leaders with microphones, loud guitars, and no robes. There I said that.

Now on to Advent. When I was younger, Advent was just the four weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It sometime brought extra services for me to play. It had a wreath, and sometimes a calendar that had candy in it. It was the blue vestments.

Now I have the need for the full meaning of Advent. I need it to be a time of contemplation. Of watching and waiting. The anticipation of the birth of the lord. I never really understood the not singing Christmas carols - until Christmas. Now I understand the beauty of waiting. Them beauty of contemplation. As the world (even Lutheran Churches) turn left, I turn right. Again. Out of step.

Oh and the left and right I used are not political left and right. They are just how far apart I feel from the churches that are in vogue now. We are at 180. I know there has to be change. The church needs to be a living thing, and therefore it has to change. I just never thought I would be the one who wouldn't change with it.

So save the Christmas carols until at least tomorrow night. Contemplate peace.

Peace be with you.

4 comments:

Susan Adcox said...

This was an interesting post as the church in which I was raised didn't mark Advent. It does seem like a wonderful tradition. Unfortunately, most of us would have to rejigger our priorities to make the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas a time of contemplation. Right now it's a time of manic dashing about. Every year, I plan to do my shopping early so I can really enjoy the season (and maybe even enjoy a little contemplation) and every year I fall victim to that rascal, procrastination.

Marti said...

Even though I'm Baptist, I totally understand. I don't like the praise hymns (can it really be a hymn if they just sing 4 lines over and over and over?) and the relaxed services, and diluted sermons. All meant to get the now generation in, but I think we're losing too much with the changes.

Judy said...

I agree with you on the church thing--I don't like the praise hymns--I want my old hymns and the church I recently went to never said the Lord's Prayer--they come in blue jeans carrying a cup of coffee--how disrespectful!!

robert said...

Greetings from Wordwise Hymns. Though I'm not from a liturgical background, I share your concern that so many churches have abandoned their traditional hymnody for shallow (and sometimes noisy!) contemporary choruses. There's nothing like the clarity of doctrine and depth of devotion in the old hymns. God bless...and keep singing!