Saturday, October 02, 2010

We have a monster

I am keeping my elation minimal because I am not sure we have really turned a corner, but Shadow seems to be doing very well. The feeding tube is gone. He has another bandage in place - that he tried to eat yesterday morning. He was in here with me in the study. I left him for 10 minutes for a phone call. When I came back, here he was without the soft blue collar, and cotton from the new bandage sticking out all over - including his mouth.

My heart sank. A foreign body in the gut was one of the possibilities. So what is he doing - he is eating the cotton batting,. I looked all over for that e-collar. I called the vet's office - knowing full well what they would say. So I hurried over there first thing to get a new collar. He was out of luck this time. They only had the hard, plastic ones. He didn't know how good he had it!

They did take the nutrient back, so I got the collar and six cans of the prescription food. Which brings a new situation. When I went to the grocery store the other day, I bought a case (no one can trials for me!!) of the little gourmet can of wet food. I will acknowledge I will have to transition him back to dry since the dry just sits in his playhouse (jail cell) without being touched.

I carefully mixed the wet with the dry. You guessed it - he sniffed it and walked away. It wasn't this $2 a can prescription stuff that stimulates feeding. So now I have a new bag of the dry and a case of the gourmet cans. He wants the really gourmet feedings. But then so does Simone. If I leave that bowl in the cage with the door open, she will sneak that big old Boxer head in there and snatch that bowl. If it is empty, she will lick the odor from it!! Must be really good stuff because she has her own $2 a can prescription food.

Me and my pets. But at least right now, Shadow seems well. I pray it isn't FIP. I just hope he had some type stomach virus. If it was a virus, I'll bet he will worry if he gets sick again. This last time he was cut from breastbone to pelvis! I hope it was all worth the tears and the money!

Peace be with you.

3 comments:

Judy said...

OHMIGOSH--our pets can cause more problems andmore money then the kids did when they were little!

Marti said...

I hope he starts eating right soon. Did he hide the soft collar or eat it?

Cheyenne said...

That's the trouble with cats. Most of them are so finicky when it comes to food. What they like today they won't like next week but they will like it again a couple weeks later. None of the food I buy goes to waste though because what the 3 inside don't eat goes to the outside cats who will eat anything no questions asked.