Friday, October 15, 2010

I wonder ...

I've got a really bad case of the "I wonders" today. I guess these are my private - until now - musings.

I wonder why in my mind I feel the same as when I was, oh say, five or six. Funny how the body falls apart, but the mind just keeps a level field. Now I know that there is the dementias out there, but most of us, thank God, make it into our 60's with brains that are fairly intact. I think those who have dementia also are this way. That was true of my dad - especially because he thought times were about 40 years ago.

But I woke this morning, and as I was rummaging through my thoughts trying to put together all the little pieces of the day, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm 65! I am on Medicare and the pittance of Social Security. How in the heck did the time go so fast. Why it seems like only yesterday I was in school with very few responsibilities! I wonder how this happened!

Then I was reflecting on the internet. It is a wonder that I can keep in touch with old friends like this. It is so much easier to send an email than sitting down to write a letter, find a stamp, etc. I also am amazed at how many friends I have made all over the continent via the internet. Those friends are so interesting. I find out things about where they live. What it's like there - the weather, etc. I wonder how I have been so lucky.

Now I am getting really deep into my wondering. Everyone else would find this deep stuff boring. I wonder about life - what is life; I wonder about space - what is out there. I told you this gets really deep, and probably dull.

Peace be with you.

2 comments:

Susan Adcox said...

Not dull at all! I've wondered about so many of the same things. It's hard to explain to young people that no matter how much your exterior changes, your essential self remains much the same.

Judy said...

I don't think it is boring or dull--I have the same wonderings. I still feel in my head that I am in my 40;s--still the same interests--just can't do most of them because of the physical disabilities.