Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I'll be glad when people stop stomping on my life!

I know I have been a real grump about the computer issue(s). Something like this really can and does send me over the edge. I have ranted here for way too long!

But yesterday, it became something else! Our 42nd Anniversary was yesterday. G thought of something we both could use - one of those fancy-dancy Logitech TV remotes. We have three remotes flying around here, and when we need one of them, we ca find the other two - only. He even set the people (Geek Squad) to come out to install it. That carried their fee of an hour of their time.

I was delighted! I had two of the grandchildren here because SIL is on the road again, and all the vacation Bible schools are finished. Two weeks of day card is terribly expensive, and these two are really too old to fit in for just the two weeks. Lady Bug is easy to entertain. We share so many interests, but Monkey Boy is only six (the first problem), and has been treated like the Prince of the World for way too long. That is changing, but he still is hard to keep occupied - especially around here.

So for the rest of the story. The installer from Geek Squad was to be here between 12 and 4. Now that is a long time to start with. It is an eternity for a six year old! He really wanted to go out to swim. We couldn't leave the house.

About two, we heard the chirp of a car alarm. I went to the window to see that the truck from Geek Squad was here. I put Simone in the bedroom, rejoicing that I caught her BEFORE the door bell or knock.

We sat here waiting, and then we saw the Geek Squad van leaving. He left a note on the door that he was sorry he missed us. Missed us?? We were here - waiting with baited breath. Of course on the little door hanger, the "phone number" was listed as 800-GEEK SQUAD. I need new glasses so badly. It is difficult for me to see the little numbers on the phone. It took me about five tries to get the correct number. (An aside here - the first wrong had an answering machine. They apparently get the wrong number a lot, and they are a computer repair. Wish I knew what I had done wrong. The second wrong number was telling me that the number had been changed to something like 10- 10-342 -8000(not the correct numbers), but they had a new international number - gah!)

When I got through, they had to direct my call. Doing that they hung up. I was livid by that time. When I finally got trough to the Geek Squad installation, I was put on hold while they tried to reach the installer. The SOB didn't answer his phone - even when they again put me on hold while his manager tried to reach him to no avail.

So my new installation date is Saturday - between 12 and 4. Daughter said I should call back and tell them this is unacceptable. Did so. They agreed with me, but nothing is changed.

Do I like Geek Squad. Right now no. The service stinks. When the other guys came out to assemble the credenza and set up the home theater - they were great. They probably quit this Mickey Mouse operation because they were too good and responsible. What they have now are, in my opinion, is a bunch of slackards. I think this guy had a hot date. Our garage door was wide open (it is a yawning expanse of a double door garage), and he admitted it to the managers. So I guess he just wanted to quit at least an hour early.

Here is my scenario: he walked to the door (perhaps), and because I didn't throw it open after sitting there for hours waiting with baited breath, he walked back to the van. That was the tweet of the alarm. He was writing out the door tag. He tiptoed back to the door since we didn't throw the door open, and left the tag. If he had knocked or rang the bell, Simone would have gone bananas. Then it hurried back to get in the van. He was gone before we would throw the door open and get outside!

Will I use of recommend Geek Squad now. I don't think so. For us to waste 6-8 hours of our lives, terrible! This is a sad situation.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Truly unacceptable and The Geek Squad should cut their installation rate or at least lower it greatly. By the way--Happy Anniversary.