Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Where have I been?

It has not been pretty - not at all. I have spent the last three days cussing up a storm. You see, on Monday afternoon, I was trying to make a back-up CD of my hard work in organizing my embroidery designs. Some were purchased, most were free - and offered once. As I was trying to do that little thing, the computer locked in a non-ending loop.

I turned it off because it was getting late. I tried everything I knew to stop it, but to no avail, so I just pushed the button and held it until it stopped. Tuesday morning, I turned it on again. It was in the non- ending loop once again (still??) So, I somehow got into a screen that had the option of reformatting the hard drive and re-establish Windows. It said that there were two options. Option one got rid of everything on the hard drive. Option two would put them in something around B:\\

That sounded like the thing to do - my problems would be solved. The computer would be back, and I could find my information again. That was wonderful. So I did it. Then I started trying to find the way to undo it. I couldn't find that file where all my hard work, my personal and business websites that I had so judiciously bookmarked, the free designs that I had been so lax in backing up. They were gone. So were all the programs except for Windows.

I was sick. I began opening everything that could open. One thing that said something along the lines of backup was locked! I still opened, opened, opened. I finally found a file that had the data base and the big design file, but the program files were just bits and pieces.

I had the feeling that something was going to happen to this computer last week. I sat and wrote down my most important email addresses to the business and personal. That's one thing I don't like about Fiiefox. You cannot make a copy of your bookmarks. In explorer, there is a file. It is intact. But I have lost so much. I just don't know how I will recover some things.

Some were programs that were free. I don't remember where I got them. One I had to pay for, but it was internet download. I can't restore it. I have a lot of things to load back on from discs - if I can find the disc.

When your computer crashes, and you don't work from a desk, it is really a disaster. I will spend the day tomorrow loading things on the computer, and still hoping that I will be able to find some more of the lost. I can't even call the hogs to come!

Peace be with you.

3 comments:

Judy said...

I was told once never to re=format the hard drive unless I was a computer expert. I think you could have done a "restore" back to a day last week or something. Hope you can get all your files back.

Grandma K said...

Jude - I think I did a restore. At this point I am brain dead. True - I know better than a format! The thing is that getting to the restore didn't work the way promised - at least didn't work the way I wanted!!!

I got a lot back - and I lost a lot. There are some good things that seem to have happened.

This computer is about 5 years old. It had been my faithful companion everyday. Even when we went on vacation (my daughter had to express it to me - sad). I think it's days are like mine - limited.

Marti said...

Oh no! I feel for you. I just got my computer out of the shop yesterday. It was in for 5 days and all it had was a broken fan. I've had floppy disks go bad and couldn't retrieve my valuable info off them. I do feel your pain.