Friday, July 16, 2010

Stupid add ons

I finally discovered and corrected the problem I had with this computer. I would visit blogs, and when I wanted to post a comment, Java popped up. I had to check yes to have it allow me to comment, with one little exception. It wouldn't let me post. So for about two weeks, I have not been able to post - even to my own blog.

I had a little icon that kept popping up that said Java needed to be updated. I ignored it forever, and finally it wore me down. I installed the update. I really thought it would make videos and the like better.

Then I started having trouble. I couldn't post a comment on just one blog in particular. I thought the blogger might have done something that changed something. These last ten years have left me in the dust with computers. Then when my firewall showed that Java wanted access whenever I wanted to post a comment, especially on blogger, I finally figured out the problem.

So I began deleting the downloads of the upgrades. Each one took about 30-45 minutes. So I plugged away at those offending updates not knowing nor caring which one might have been the problem. I am sure that there will come a time when I wish I had that program. I certainly may have been way too hasty, but I can post comments now.

I don't know why some programs can cause such problems. I never knew this one in particular would not act properly on my computer, but then I am far from an IT person. I am also far from the information about dangerous or faulty upgrades. But I do know how to delete the program! (I am ignoring the fact that there are remnants of that program left on my computer - ignorance is bliss)

Peace be with you.

1 comment:

Marti said...

Eeek! Thanks for the warning. I've been getting that annoying java popup too and was thinking I'd update when I had time. Now I won't.