Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Gone, but not forgotten

Over the last few months (I guess), I have noticed there is something new in my life. I'm not sure when it disappeared, but I certainly don't want it back!

I seem to have gotten over hot flashes. Those nasty big things that plague a woman who enters menopause and cause a disruption in her relationships by having to have the thermostat so low that everyone else wears parkas (and here in Texas, that's a hoot!) all year long. There are ice cycles hanging from the air conditioner vents. Husbands finally leave the bedroom because he simply can't get warm enough because she sleeps in the nude - not for any other reason except clothes are too hot.

Any kind of heat would add to the hot flash when it came, and I would be dying because I was so hot. So that means we kept the house rather cool - summer and winter. I looked forward to winter. I know, I know - we don't really have winter, but I looked forward to the cooler seasons. Add a little heat and I was miserable. So was everyone around me - they knew that they soon would be freezing.

I don't really know when they left. I think they were still around during the winter. I kept the thermostat pretty much around 74 and lower during the night. Spring came and I was comfortable. Summer is here, and some days we have had summer with its teeth bared. It had been really hot, but I haven't taken to having two fans on me while I fanned myself with a hand fan.

I have noticed that when it gets hot in the kitchen, I'm not overwhelmed. I would usually leave the kitchen as much as I could to cool off.

Getting in a hot car doesn't send me over the edge. Sometimes, it actually feels good. It made me feel that I couldn't breathe before.

Of course, there were times that I could just be sitting, expending little energy, not doing anything to get hot, and the little monster would hit me. They were really miserable, and I thought they would never quit - especially when I started taking Femara (the anti-breast cancer drug).

I had forgotten what it was like to be a normal human. I have had these hot flashes since the early 90's. I thought I would have them my entire life. Needless to say, I am elated.

Changing the subject for a moment. I now have used my new Medicare card. It is so strange to me to arrive in the doctor's office and not pay a fee. New experience. Not only am I saving $195 a month because the now secondary insurance cost has come down. My social security check may only be $167 a month, but that covers the cost of my Medicare.

Getting old has benefits that I didn't know were anticipate. I looked at the downside too much. There are bright points!

Peace be with you.

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

Good to know there is hope for me yet. I have been suffering hot flashes for 13 years and seems like they will never go away!

Judy said...

I never had hot flashes--I had a lot of crying and feeling angry however. I did have a few warm flashes, but I kind of thought they were funny. I do love Social Security and Medicare--it is very cool.

Marti said...

I haven't had a hot flash yet, but I have noticed I'm warmer than usual. I hope it continues this way.

Suddenly my mil has been charged for doctor visits and she said it's the first time since they started medicare. Do you know what she needs to do?

Susan Adcox said...

The hot flashes were bad, but even worse was the disturbed sleep, which few people ever mention. But when I mentioned it to my doctor, he knew exactly what I was talking about. Thank goodness I am beginning to get over both symptoms, although I admit to still stripping off my pjs in the middle of the night for reasons that have nothing to do with romance!