Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Comedy of Errors

Things were jumpin' around the old homestead here today. Lots and lots of traffic - both in person and telephone.

On Sunday, I went upstairs to sew. As usual, I turned the thermostat on that air conditioner to a more comfortable setting. I was working along without really thinking for a while until it suddenly hit me - it was getting too cold. So I got up to go to the thermostat to turn it warmer. I returned to the machine and worked. I was getting really cold. I turned off the fan. I worked a while longer. Then I was really cold. I turned the thermostat even warmer. To make a long story shorter, it kept getting colder and colder. I finally turned the whole thing off.

We went to Son's house for dinner that night. They can have fireworks - we can't. I knew he changed his thermostat out in his house, so I thought I would save a few pennies. We had to go to Home Depot as it was, so I would pick up a thermostat.

He came over on Monday. As he was putting the thing in, he found the directions and the actual thermostat a little different. He thought he was putting it in correctly. When he turned the unit off, it was off, and so on. As I worked, I knew it wasn't cooling as it should. It was hot up there. But the compressor was running.

I turned the whole thing off, and came downstairs to fix dinner. That unit has a vent in the kitchen as well as upstairs. I was standing in front of it and felt . . . heat! The air coming out was hot. I turned and climbed the stairs again (sure am glad I have had PT!). The thermostat said the unit was off, but hot air was coming out of the vent, and the read out registered 104. Great! So I turned it back to cool.

It stayed that way all night, and I called our a/c people this morning. They sent a repairman out - right away. I wasn't expecting that. He went up and found that the a/c and heat were running together. Son thought there might be a problem with the heat, but certainly not that!

I asked the repairman if the original problem could have been the thermostat. He said it probably was. Well - I feel a little better. I would have had to call them anyway, so trying to save a bit wasn't really a bad idea. Just didn't work. By the time I had him do the other thing that needed to be done to that unit, the damage to my monies was a cool $350. Saving - not really, but it MIGHT have worked!

Peace be with you.


2 comments:

Judy said...

Glad you got it fixed--this is no time for heat to be coming out of vents!!

flying eagle woman said...

:-) now if that had been me I'd have been kissing the floor of said cold air...I live with my brother as you probably know...and he absolutely REFUSES to have a/c

glad you got it fixed!
Shawna