Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I didn't run away, well yes I did

I did run away to the SSB. We hadn't been there since Mothers Day. Staying away is problematic in several ways. You never know what may have happened to the place, and we have been in civilization too long.

Before we left, G talked about how low our electric bill was for the month. That raised fears because we leave the air conditioning on when we are gone (well in the winter the heat is left on too). It gets so hot in the house if we don't the laminate wood floors want to get up are walk out. This isn't a good thing. In the winter, we are afraid the pipes may break.

To say it gets hot there is putting it mildly. I have a rain gauge/thermometer on the back deck. When we got there, about 3:30 Saturday afternoon, the temperature on that thermometer was 105. It is in the sun. Can't track rain if the collector is under something. The thermometer is in that whole set up.

The weekend was good. I really realized that my knees and back are better. I don't know why I realized it there more than here t home, but I did. I could get so much done, and after five years or so of slacking off, the house needed it.

When it is just the two of us, we load the dishwasher daily, but since it takes so long to wash them, we wait until the night before we leave. Don't turn up your nose - the dishes are rinsed, and it doesn't stink! I just hate to use a lot of water up there. We are on a well, and we have to hope that well doesn't run dry. Water is precious in Texas. I was going to say just West Texas, but really it should be considered precious all over the state. We tend to think that when we turn on that faucet, fresh, clean water will come out. It could disappear. Enough soap box.

The reason I mentioned the dishwasher is the thing was put in last year. After about seven loads - both those marathon ones from the two of us to everyday because there are 10+ people in the house. Anyway - when we had people, it quit. In the middle of a cycle, it began to empty and it quit. Dead. Nothing. No lights, nothing.

In that neck of the woods, it is difficult to get a repair person at all, and on the weekend. You have to be smoking crack to believe that. So we just looked at the high capacity, pretty push button dead, $500 dishwasher for months. Until hunting season.

We are so wise (had nothing to do with it) to lease hunting rights to an appliance repair man. Actually father in law did that years ago. Anyway, Andy was there, came over, took the door apart, and found nothing. Zip. Nada. He put it back together, and it ran - beautifully. We really have no idea what was wrong.

But I think I know. That door is not stiff. It flexes. When it flexes, connections loosen. And guess what. We have a big weekend (lots of people in the house) coming in two weeks. It quit again. It was the same thing exactly. But we are gone. We will be gone for 9 days. That 9th day is a Friday - afternoon. We can't get a repairman there (if I find one). So that means even if I get that wonderful person to travel 45 minutes from civilization to trek to us, it has to be on Monday after everyone is gone. Probably someone could come Saturday morning, but we will all be in Tiny Town for Round Up. We will be there early (to set up the craft booth) and leave late (after 3).

He doesn't come right out and say he blames me, but G does blame me for a lemon. I ordered it from a big box store. They delivered (which I thought was a good thing). They didn't install, but SIL said he could do it - and he could. Big box didn't tell me I needed to save the power cord from the old one. That was just the beginning of the problems, but Hunter Andy said there were no problems with the installation. From that beginning, G has blamed me. He thinks if we had someone "professionally" install, it would be working now. When it broke this time he said "that's why I don't like leaving the dishes for three days." Piffel!! HE"S the one that pushes saving water there.

So ends my wonderful weekend. We are grousing at one another. But we are able to stay an extra day on this next trip. Dishes will have to be washed by hand for the crowd, but on Monday, hopefully we can have the bi-annual service on the HVAC AND the dishwasher fixed.

So, there you have it. What I did on my little vacation this year.

Peace be with you.

2 comments:

Marti said...

They just don't make appliances to stand up to a little use any more do they? My washer & dryer are like that and we finally replaced both of them last week because they were both built so crappy. May.tag.

Hope you & the mister can enjoy your next trip.

Judy said...

Hope you have a great Holiday weekend at SSB--and hope that dang dishwasher runs correctly. May be something to do with the door latch? It won't run if the door isn't latched correctly. I don't like it when people blame me for something that is not my fault!!!