Friday, July 03, 2009

I owe, I owe . . .

In one fell swoop yesterday, one swipe (well actually a lot of swipes) of the pen, G and I went from owing no one to the probability of owing a mortgage company.

Last Sunday I went to look at a house on the street behind us that has gone into foreclosure. It has been on the market at least three months, and vacant for two. I was really afraid of that house - I mean its condition. The pictures on the Multiple Listing site here were grim. There looked to be a lot of damage upstairs. They stated water damage. I thought the roof was gone.

In reality, it seems the a/c condenser pan overflowed and some goober fell through the ceiling while working on it. The goober may well have been the owner.

I took Daughter and Contractor. We all felt that the house was really fairly nice. It seemed the most it needed was cosmetic. Of course, when we had "the flood" about 5 years ago, it did flood. But I know the city has done a lot of work on the drainage, and the county is doing more.

So G and I made an offer on the house yesterday. We had to go through the pre-approval process. Get this - we are tentatively approved. We have to furnish the taxes we pay on our properties, the insurance, and the deeds to properties. I know the mortgage companies were too lax before, but . .

So IF it goes through - the bid, the mortgage, and the inspection (I wouldn't buy it if there are major structural/mechanical problems), we will have an investment property. The next step is to form a limited partnership with the kids - if they want in.

It is sort of exciting. We've been toying with this for several months now. The first step has been taken. We will know in at least a week.

Peace.

1 comment:

Judy said...

To me, this takes a lot of guts. I have a friend who has two rental properties and she is always complaining how much work it involves. I hope you get the house (this is a great time to buy) and that the kids want in on a partnership (I don't know why they wouldn't) and that you can rent it to good people who won't trash it or leave in the middle of the night taking all the door knobs with them (that actually happened to my friend.)