Thursday, June 11, 2009

Now I remember . . .

We've not had a kitten around here in about 30 years. I think I'm too old! Like babies, you get too old for some things.

I know I kept all of Daughter's children when they were born. Of course, the time I kept them decreased with each grandchild. It wasn't too bad because I could send them home! Having a kitten is so much like having a baby around.

Shadow is nothing but a bundle of energy (I know - some of you are very aware of that). We have an unusual situation around here with him. He lives in a cat playhouse. It is about 5feet square and about 3 feet deep. That gives a lot of space for an 8 week kitten. The reason he is in there is Simone.

I had been worried about her accepting Shadow. Night before last might have been the real test. I took him out for a romp. He is totally wild when he gets out. He is older and thinks he is invincible! He was skittering around here, and I decided that it was time to put him back for the night. I bent down to pick him up, and he tried to run. I grabbed him, and he turned into teeth and claws. About that time I realized that Simone was just right there - all too interested. Needless to say, I had a few wounds to tend to.

Today, I decided to put one of the baby gates we still have around here to good use. I blocked Simone off in the hall (she was really asleep in her crate in my bedroom anyway), and let Shadow out. He ran and played for about 40 minutes, and then was ready to be picked up. Of course, Simone had realized something was up, and she wasn't a part of it.

Shadow is just so active. He ran and ran, skittered here and there playing with anything he could find. It made me worry since he is still rather little. I am amazed at his growth in just a week, but still.

I have to give him "exploration time," but at the same time I worry about him getting into something and getting hurt. Like a child, he has no sense. He just goes on impulse.

I think I will like it much better when he is an aloof adult cat! Kittens are cute. They do funny things. The saying was "the trouble with kittens is they grow into cats," and that was supposed to be bad. Now I can't wait!

Oh, and I almost forgot - the pool is almost filled again!
Peace.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Sounds like you are having lots of fun at your house.