Thursday, May 21, 2009

What a morning

I had the distinct priviledge of beginning my morning with a trip to the dentist. It was my usual (three month interval) cleaning. I enjoy my hygenist. She is funny and we get along well. But, I mean, really - the dentist. You have to understand that I have a mouth full of crowns. I think there are about 10 teeth that are my own. The remainder came at great cost to me.

One of those that is still the natural tooth has a crack. It was there three months ago, and it hasn't gone away. Amazing. I accuse my dentist (who we have been seeing for almost 30 years) of wanting to take a trip somewhere by crowning these teeth.

My teeth have never been strong. Then when I was 12 I had braces applied. My orthodontist's name, and I am not kidding, was Dr Pulliam, and pull 'em he did! Those braces did nothing to strengthen my teeth. Those were real torture devices. The good ol' doc didn't believe in wax or anything when there were wires poking into the inside lips. I still have scars from them.

When I first began going to this present dentist, he wanted to crown my front teeth since they had porcelain fillings. No, no, no, no. Then the one where the nerve died when I was 16 finally became so brittle that it broke off, I had to have it crowned. I really was afraid that time. There was nothing sticking up from the gum line. I had an implant before they became common for tooth loss.

Three years ago, when I had several crowns nicely in place, he talked me into doing all the front teeth. I could have bought a small car, but we did it. He and I spent the day together that day. I had six crowns put in.

But that is done, and I'll admit the results are great. They look really nice - much better than my old real ones. But as for the one that is cracked now - my opinion is we wait. Emergency crown placement is so much more fun. After all I need some excitement in my life!

Peace.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Geez--I hate the fact that my teeth tend of fall apart--I am a timid patient at the dentist's. but I have a really good one and he never hurts me. I get mine cleaned every 4 months trying to prevent further procedures.

Grandma K said...

When I was very young, probably about 8, I was taken to a dentist who believed "baby" teeth didn't have nerves. I had a cavity in one. He proceeded to drill out that cavity and fill it without any numbing. Needless to say, dentists are by and large not among my top ten. This one is dedicated to not allowing pain. There are still many places I would rather be, but there is not the dread I once had. Besides, now my teeth are prettier than they were - even if they are not really mine. No wait - I paid for them!