Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Day Three

Yes - we are entering day three of the air conditioner make-over. And day three of an "unusual heat wave." Why should that even begin to surprise me?? Stupid me. We could have done this in February, our coldest month. We would have had a heat wave then. Temperatures would have soared into the 90's. The record books would have new records to report.

Monday, I was smug about the whole thing. It remained really cool in the main living area. The bedrooms were hot, but then they had been closed off. You see, they are a mess, and I was embarrassed by the mess. I didn't realize that they had done nothing to the little upstairs unit except set the thermostat to 70! It was cooling its little heart out.

Monday night I managed to cool the bedroom with the usual fan and an added box fan to try to bring in the cool air falling from the upstairs (remember - I told you about that).

I got up yesterday with the house still fairly cool. They worked like little beavers all day. About 6:30, they announced they were leaving. Those were the words I was dreading. They would be back today.

Well, alrighty then. Monday night wasn't too bad. I spent the day right here in my breakfast room turned office with a fan blowing on me. We'll survive.

Except I had figured I better actually cook. Spaghetti. Not one burner but two! Well, that's one of the reasons I had the vent hood changed to a Tim Allen special. Remember his show, "Tool Time?" I wanted/needed one that would pull out smoke and hot air. My cook top is in a sort of island. We have a grill in that cook top. Grill + food = SMOKE! So as I was simmering the sauce, and then boiling the pasta, that sucker was pulling out air at full force.

When I went to the refrigerator I realized that the vent from the upstairs unit that comes into the kitchen had been dismantled. NO. Air. Coming. Into. Kitchen.

Shortly after the guys said they were leaving, another, different guy came in. He said he was going to try something. That something was to try to get the new unit to provide a little air. They have installed a fancy dancy new thermostat (that I wonder if I will ever figure out - no G will never figure it out, bless his little non-mechanical heart). It had been flashing red. I got the idea that something must be wrong.

After he tinkered, the thermostat turned green. I was so excited! I ran out (this time not encountering an alarm salesman) to look at the new, huge unit, and admire it as it compressed whatever it compresses to cool my house. As I rounded the corner, I heard the upstairs unit, but thought the new one ran so quietly. Yes, it was quiet; it wasn't running.

I returned to the house and the thermostat was red again. Our fate was sealed. Still, this was nothing compared to post-Ike. The warmest it has gotten in the house is 80.5. That wasn't too bad.

G went upstairs to check on the little unit. They had dismantled all its vents with the exception of the bedroom that is opposite the stairs (!?!?!). It was set to 68. He opened the access door and the attic was really cool. Vents were just there - no connection. So he (gasp) left the attic access door open. I was imagining all the little varmints that might be slipping into my craft room.

To bring this to a close - we did get through the night. They are here again. There is a lot of banging and thumping. The new unit will be addressed. I am sure (hopeful) things will be all humming properly tonight!

Peace.

No comments: