Thursday, April 16, 2009

Wide Musings

Tuesday was a really busy day for me. I had booked two doctor's appointments in the same day. Not a fun thing to do.

The first was with the optometrist. It was time for my annual check up. Several years ago (10-15?) I was diagnosed with glaucoma. For years I religiously put drops in my eyes. And for several years, the pressures remained pretty constant. I wasn't really surprised that I got that diagnosis. My mother was also diagnosed with glaucoma.

Then the medical world advanced. It was discovered that people's eyes (mostly women I think) can have thickened corneas that mimic glaucoma. Guess what? My corneas are thickened. That little fact saves me $50 a month (thank you drug insurance for being there). But it also means I really don't worry about blindness - as much. Take the hearing if you must, but please leave my sight.

Daughter, come to find out, has the same problem. She is 35 and her eyes are worse than mine. So I believe that my mother didn't have glaucoma either. Daughter, husband and I all see the same doctor now, and we love her.

The afternoon brought the appointment in my search for a new primary physician. After being my doctor for 33 years, my other one retired. Can you believe that!!

Anyway, son in law, daughter and husband have gone to Dr A and like him. On the advice of my nurse from the insurance company, I made the well-woman (like well baby) appointment. I LOVE this new guy. You can easily talk to him. Plus he is not one of those weight gurus. He has problems with his weight too! He KNOWS what a struggle it is. In fact he shared with me that he is a heart patient (don't like that - don't want to lose him), has 5 stints, but hasn't seen his cardio doc because he has gained weight. That sounds like a normal person. I want to urge him to see his doc because, like I said, I don't want to lose him.

So my eyes are good to go - didn't even need a new script for glasses, and the new doc is great. All's right with the world.

This morning Simone had another bout of nausea. So we were off to the vet's office for a 9AM appointment. I like this practice a lot. I can always see a vet. My appointment was with a new doctor. I thought perhaps a new slant would shed some light on the problem.

Simone had blood drawn for unremarkable results - which is good, I guess. Still no answers. So bolus of fluids, $42, blood work, $169.50, pancreas test, $74, shots, $67.50, exam, $45.50, new flea treatment, $88, for a grand total of $491. The love of that dog and the pleasure she brings 99.9% of the time, priceless. I just wish we had an answer. We still don't know the why for these bouts. So far nothing serious has reared its ugly head.

Stay well!

2 comments:

Judy said...

Maybe Simone is getting a bit nervous as she ages? I know I am!

Some days I just feel like I am going to start throwing up and never quit because of some minor stress.

Grandma K said...

Judy, I wish I knew. She had a really bad night last night. I think one of the new meds kept her from really having a lot of vomit, but it was a bad night. From 1-4 am, I had time (great) to think back on her previous episodes. I can't think of anything that would tie them together, nor can I think of a single stimulus that would spark them.

Right about the aging and getting nervous!!