Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Still alive

It was the usual weekend for our foray to the SSB. I forgot to give a heads up before we left. Because of scheduling conflicts, we left on Saturday to come back yesterday, Tuesday.

It was a rather busy weekend with all sorts of things scheduled. Plans were for our neighbor to come over to help George cut a path for a new deer feeder. I was going to sew.

Since we got there on Saturday, that meant the work schedule for cutting brush was pushed to Sunday morning. That meant no church. Oh, well. The problem with that was it was the first day of DST. As we were discussing the schedule, I kept asking if the appointed time was old time or new time. SO we set the alarm to get up at 6:30 A.M. - new time. It is so dark at that time! Anyway, Gene didn't show for two hours. I Was Not. Happy.

I set up the sewing machine after I got them out of the house. I got the scrap book cover done. For my first real quilting experience, it came out OK, but I would have liked it to be better. Am I going to re-do it? No.

A cut out the "church lady apron" that I had bought the pattern and fabric for at least two months ago. The one side is named "god ladies." It is such a cute pattern. The back obviously coordinates with it, but is a subdued two tone pattern. I embroidered the pockets and the front of it. I was ready to put the two together, and began with the sashes. I changed the stitch length, and then all hell broke loose. The machine did what it has been doing periodically - stitch three stitches, then kick like a mule.

I had taken the machine in for its yearly check up in January. I didn't report this behavior because I thought I was doing something wrong. When it ate up the little bobbin case, it wouldn't sew at all. I took it back and we replaced just that. It has gone through several of its little snits since then, and I again attributed it to something I was doing. I now know it is the machine. I think it has not been right since I bought it. When I would embroidery, it often would bring the bobbin thread up on top. I would take the tension down to zero, and all was right with the world.

Monday, I bent two needles trying to sew. One was just a nice little curve to the left, the other was bent at a right angle. There is a problem. So I will take it back and give its little history. I am beginning to wonder if this "top of the line" machine is as heavy duty as I assumed. This machine was not in the hundreds. It was in the thousands. I really expected more, and now that I have owned it for 15 months, I doubt that anything like this will be covered - so I get to pay . . . more.

So today, I will go to my little bitty machine that I thought was so wonderful when I bought it several years ago. It is a little work horse, but it doesn't do anything but sew. So, there won't be any embroidery - unless I pull out the really little machine I bought at WalMart several years ago.

In other news, on our way to the SSB we saw something we had heard would live in that area, but had never seen. There was a dead porcupine dead in the road. I really didn't think they were in our area, but there it was. This drought is driving the animals to find water and food. Otherwise we would have never come across that scene. It is supposed to be raining now. I have heard that about 75 miles away, they got 3/4 inch last night. I hope we did too. It was misting when we left. I just hope and pray - literally - that some of that moisture fell on the ground there. Brother in law sold off all his cattle last week. The feed bills were just too high, and we will not be doing a ground lease this year because we have no grass. We are almost desperate.

Peace.

No comments: