Thursday, March 05, 2009

Club Meeting

Today is our sewing machine club meeting. The project for this week is, um, embroidering, um, toilet paper. This ought to be a very interesting meeting. What you really do with embroidered toilet paper is a puzzle to me. I guess as a gag gift? On a serious note, I have heard about this. It will be good because it means I have to really get practice centering a small piece to be embroidered. When we did the fabric post cards, I thought I wouldn't like that one, but it was really neat and the post card came out really pretty.

To prepare for today, I spent yesterday upstairs in the tower working on bands for diaper cakes. I'm going to take them for "show and tell." Probably that's not a really good idea because I may end up with competition in the market place. Oh well, I'm also going to take the receiving blankets, burp cloths, and possibly the bibs.

At one point I wanted to throw that machine (that should be gilded just based on its price) right out of the window. For some reason when I changed over to regular sewing to put the ribbon on the band, it would make three good stitches and then kick like a mule. Come to find out, the three "good" stitches weren't. They weren't stitches at all.

I changed the needle. Still kicked. I cleaned the bobbin. Still kicked. I changed the bobbin thread, and yes, you guessed it - still kicked. I finally changed thread. It sewed. I still wanted to give it a pitch however!

I got that finished only to realize that I have misplaced a new pattern I wanted to try today. Great. I simply don't know where I "filed" it. I guess it's safe for now. I'll look later.

With time on my hands, I decided that I would tackle the serger that I have never used. You see, when it said to thread it by tying onto the existing threads that ran through the machine, when I did that - they came untied - at the worst moment. So I had a machine I knew nothing about with no threads running through it. I have worked periodically for months on that thing.

I decided I had nothing better so I would tackle it again. After two hours, I finally got it threaded and actually sewed a seam on it. Those little buggers are really a pain. I had bought DVDs to learn how to do it. The expensive ones thread the loopers automatically. For the others, the advice is to tie onto the existing thread and pull . . .

Peace.

No comments: