Thursday, January 15, 2009

Over the top - I think.

I just got the answer to an email I send to C's friend who is the chief host of the baby shower Saturday. I knew there were a lot of people on the invitation list. When we stayed overnight during the hurricane days, I saw her spiral notebook with the names. I knew it was several pages, but I didn't know it was 100 people. That's how many invitations were sent. As of today, Crystal has only gotten 5 declines.

The shower is being held in the home of a "friend" of C's. It is in an upscale neighborhood, and probably has about 2900 square feet. That is my best estimate. I've been there once. That was for Crystal's baby shower. My house here in what is considered by C as the "getto" (another upscale city), is just as large, plus my "public" spaces are bigger and flow together. The formal living in the other house is a postage stamp with room for about 5 people - if they are close friends. The dining is about the size of mine - which is too small. Her den has seating for 8, but unlike mine, there is no room for more chairs. The breakfast room is really a hallway connecting the den and the off kitchen office. Her kitchen is a little larger than mine, but who wants to stand in the kitchen for a baby shower.

Please don't get me wrong - I never wanted to have the shower here. Lord, no!! I would have had to hire a cleaning service, and it would probably take them a week of full time work to get it ready for a party like this one.

I am really concerned about this thing. I know I'm not the only one who must have a place to sit. I am especially crippled these days partially due to the weather (I know we don't have it so bad - it's in the high 20's - high 50's)and partially due to the fact that I was too lazy to send in the refill for my arthritis meds. But regardless, I am really in bad shape.

I'm really concerned. We have G's elderly aunts planning to be there, and my sister in law and niece are coming from the Capitol City. I just don't know where people are going to find a place to just be, and I really don't know where people are going to be able to park. We are looking for at least 50 cars. Oh, my.

I guess it's not my problem, and my worring about it is not going to make things any better. Crystal estimated 60 +. I know not all 95 will show up. Folks just don't respond these days. But even with 60, I don't know where they will all find a place. Even in my open area house, 60 would be a stretch.

I'll let you know what happens.

Peace.

No comments: