Tuesday, January 13, 2009

OUCH!

It finally happened! I had to go for blood work prior to my appointment with Cardio guy next week. Since only my left arm can be used for such things, I have lived in fear that one day all those lovely little veins would duck and cover. It happened today.

The vampire that first came at me was digging (yes - really digging) in the wrong place. I pretty much know where my veins usually hang out. She was way too far to the side, but who's going to argue with someone with a needle and two vials to fill!

So she got the guy to come in. He tried a butterfly in the hand. Nothing came out, and it hurt. I was about to say let's just forget this whole thing, and I'll just toddle off home. He decided to try the inside elbow again. I could tell he was in the right place. Out came the blood, and home I came!

All through chemo, I worried about the blood tests. I just knew that that poor little vein would just give out. The first phlebotomist did ask what happened to that arm. I told her, and she understood. So after five surgeries, chemo, and radiation over the last two years, I finally had the first time having the vein give up. I'm not sure it was the vein however!

The joy of this is I get to do it over in about a month for the oncologist! Happy, happy!!

Peace.

No comments: