Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Distraught and more

I went along with K yesterday when she took Doodle Bug to the pediatric dentist. She was to have her two front teeth crowned, and we knew she would have to have at least one incisor pulled. As it turned out, she had both pulled.

I was really distraught about her having any teeth pulled. I worried about the implications of spacing. I really shouldn't be that worried. I didn't realize that she, like her mother, has an under bite. I took her mother at the age of 3 to a pediatric dentist because she had a bulldog's under bite. Had we left it alone, she would have looked like an English bulldog or a (much loved) boxer. It really was bad. DB's is not nearly that bad, but it very well may get to that point.

K is so upset about the entire situation. It seems poor teeth in children are, often as not, caused by poor genes. All three of these grandchildren have poor teeth to one extent to another. DB's appear to be the absolute worst while Monkey Boy seems to have better teeth. Don't get me wrong - his are still bad. He just barely escaped having to have crowns. We aren't sure what the future will bring.

DB was so bright and cheerful before the "la-la land" juice kicked in. She found the balloons that were there for the kids after they had their procedures. At one time she had five! After she was finished, she wanted nothing to do with them or anyone else!

It took a good hour for the happy juice to kick in, and I wasn't sure it did then. When they called her back, K asked if I wanted to go back. Nope - not me! I had enough with K with her ear infections and associated surgeries to place tubes in said ears. Fortunately 30 years of working with loud teenagers has killed enough of my hearing that I really couldn't hear DB's cries! She was more upset about being restrained however.

They worked with her, got the numbing shot in, and then send K out to pay the bill and make follow up appointments. By the time she got back in with DB, they had crowned the two front ones and pulled both incisors. That was really fast, less than ten minutes I believe.

DB was drowsy for a while. We had drive through for lunch while K held her here at my house. Then she decided it was time to go home. DB fought the car seat, but it's only a mile between homes. I understand they both slept through most of the afternoon, and by last evening, DB was playing with the other two. She ate well, which in itself is amazing. The child doesn't eat. Of course, unfortunately she has not been weaned from the breast yet. But she was hungry. She allowed her teeth to be brushed even. We both think there must have been more pain with those teeth than we knew.

She slept well, and this morning she was fine. K said you'd never know what she had been through. She has my sympathy though. I am sitting here with a mouth full of crowns. My first dentist felt that kids' teeth didn't have nerves in them. I had fillings and an extraction WITHOUT any numbing. I had been afraid of dentists for most of my life - thus not too many visits - and the outcome is a mouth full of crowns!!

In other news, I am setting to fighting the 50 pounds that found their way back (and brought a few friends I must say) during my cancer fight. I thought about the low carb again, but I decided I would give a weeks try to We**ht W***chers on line. Right now, it seems to be a difficult program, and I may stop that membership and do the low carb again. I know it works. I'll update as needed!

Peace.

No comments: