Monday, December 22, 2008

I've been very good, Santa

Yes, I've been a very good little elf! I have been embroidering and sewing my little fingers to the bone for the past couple of days. I made Lady Bug a pink apron with little cupcakes embroidered on it to go with her little cupcake maker that Santa is bringing her. Then I set about making insulated bread basket liners for daughter and daughter in law.

As for LB's apron, I will never, ever make that pattern again. It is cute, no doubt about that, but I didn't realize how significant the 1/4 inch binding was to that pattern. It was supposed to be everywhere. I tbought it was just trim. Nope it practically held the thing together.

My problem with that binding is that no matter how meticulously I tried to make sure the fabric was caught, there would be places it didn't catch. I would go back, rip out that seam, try again, and by golly, it still didn't catch. I almost wore out one of the pockets because I ripped that seam out so many times. Finally I decided that I could spend the remainder of my life on that apron if I continued to put the binding on all the seams. I just went about constructing the apron pretty much as I know how to make garments. Besides, it is a kid's apron. It won't be worn that much and won't be inspected that closely.

The bread basket liners really turned out rather cute. All I had was instructions that I downloaded from the internet. I had to make the pattern and all. My craft room has precious few flat surfaces that don't have some type of implement on them. Being basically lazy, I tried to make the pattern pieces I needed as I went in just inches of space. Let's just say that some of the pattern pieces I drew were a tad skewed. My liners don't look like the picture that much, but they are rather cute, and I'm thinking of making myself one. They only took the afternoon yesterday - about 6 hours for the two of them. Comparing to the apron - about the same time. I felt a lot more productive with the liners!!

Today and probably tomorrow, LB and I will be making cookies. I hope she has more patience this year because we are not doing the slice and bake. I have told her we will be making them from scratch, and I have chosen about 8 recipes. I also told her last night that I would be teaching her how to measure the ingredients, and how to put them in the mixer. She will be taking a more active part. We'll see how that goes. I'm not holding out much hope, but you never know. She is almost 8, and she should be able to handle what I am going to give her.

I will try to get picture of the sewn goods to post. It is too late today. I don't want LB to see them, and she will be here before too much longer.

Peace.

No comments: