Friday, December 21, 2007

A better woman? And other musings

To some extent, I have gotten over my raging snit that erupted at father-in-law's funeral. But I am finding that I still really don't care to socialize with G's mother. These hurt feelings go back about twenty five years. I thought they were put behind me, but she delights in re-opening old wounds. Even her sister mentioned how difficult she is to live with. But neither she nor the hurts are worth taking up space. It is what it is, and will be forever. Does that make me a better woman? I doubt it.

Anyway, I was hoping that I wouldn't be keeping Doodle Bug at all today, but I have her for a "couple of hours." I really have so much to do, but at least she is into naps, unlike her sister and brother. So I get to spend time here with you!

Daughter, K, just turned 34. At that age you would think she has some sense of responsibility. Ha! While we were away, I was to work on a baptismal napkin for our church (I need to complete one today and get it to church for Sunday also!). I finished it and gave it to K at the funeral so she could bring it back. She had two good days, Thursday and Friday, to take it to church. I reminded her early on Friday.

When I called home to check for messages, the church secretary had called "to see if there was a problem." When I talked to K on Saturday, I again asked. When she hesitated answering, I knew there was a problem.

For some reason, my home answering machine turned itself off sometime Saturday. Because of that, the messages went to the phone company's answering service (that I HAVE to cancel - I keep forgetting). When I got home and realized what had happened, I checked that service. The secretary had called at 6:30 pm Saturday night. The napkin was still not there.

I just kept my mouth shut about the whole thing this week. Finally yesterday, K admitted that she had forgotten. She told me she made sure that she got up really early Sunday morning to get it to church. So much for responsibility!

If I don't make it back before Christmas, which is a real possibility, Merry Christmas to you all. I hope your holidays are filled with joy.

No comments: